Password Help

Reaction score
I have always used <the same 4 digits> as my password so it is not that I have forgotten it. Today I started my computer and when it got to the password screen and I typed it in it did not recognize it. There is a comment there to go to account then live then com. How can I go there when I can't get in to the computer? I have no Windows discs because none came with the machine when I bought it from Best Buy. I am 68 years old and not computer stupid but this has me stumped. I am using a friends computer and have tried making a password disc in the Control Panel-Users, make password recovery but obviously that only works for his machine..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hello John,

Can you please tell the OS that you have on your computer? Is it Windows 7 or Windows 10? Also let me know if your user name is your email address.

-Chris

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
John, it sounds like you probably have Win 8 or higher and that you allowed the computer to link your login to your live email account. To log in just enter your windows live password; which I'm pretty sure has to be at least 8 characters.

NOTE: I edited out your usual password above. Generally safest not to share your passwords with the world.

Once logged on you should be able to change it back with:
> Change PC Settings > Accounts > Disconnect Microsoft Account

Last edited:

Ask a Question