Overclocking my Q9400 abit more

Reaction score
I finally built up the nerve to change my CPU voltage. My CPU voltage was set to auto in the system BIOS. Checking the voltages from Intel for the Core2 Quad Q9400, I could see that the voltages where between 0.85V and 1.36V. Choosing a value between, I started with 1V. After booting into Windows I noticed my temperatures where 15 degrees Celsius cooler than they have been running @100% CPU usage.

I was currently running the normal 333MHz FSB at 350MHz. This give my 2.66GHz a boost to 2.8GHz. The temperature decrease sparked an interest in raising the FSB frequency even higher. I raised the FSB a little at a time, each time I received a boot falure and was forced to raise the voltage some. As it turns out I am Overclocked @ 3.6GHz with CPU voltage of 1.175 and my temps are no higher than they were when my CPU voltage was set to auto.

I did however experience a freeze up last night. This may result in needing to raise the voltage one more click. I'm waiting to see if it freezes again before I decide to do something about it.

This has raised my Folding PPD from 6500 to over 9,000. I wish I had set the voltages when I first built the system. Less voltage means less power required to run. This not only drops the temperature but also the electric consumption, that is unless you overclock the way I have. Even though I am still seeing the same temps and using just as much power, I now have a much faster computer. As long as my temps stay below 60 degrees Celsius, I will be happy.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Very nice! I hope you can avoid the freeze ups.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I don't believe another .325 volts DC will cause any brownouts in the local area or cause the nuclear reactor in Russellville to meltdown. :eek: :lol:

Reaction score
Update:
I've had a few more unstable clocks resulting in Blue Screen so I've dropped down to 3.4GHz overclock. I know within reason I could raise the voltage abit and stabilize the clock, but I don't want the temps to rise any higher. I feel better about a lower overclock anyway.

Sadly though this has also dropped my PPD to about 8300.

Ask a Question