Optical Mouse Driver

Reaction score
Hi,

In the past, the driver for my optical mouse had an option for setting the wheel button (press on the mouse wheel). It was very convenient to set it as "double click."

I just received a new computer with Windows 7, but the optical mouse driver has no options for using the wheel button. It is as if pressing on the wheel is unknown as a button funtion.

Can you please recommend a mouse driver that has wheel button functionality and will work with the basic Microsoft Optical Mouse?

Many thanks,
Eric

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's not that the click isn't working, there just is nothing set up to make it do anything. So I don't have a driver, but try a tiny program called Dblclick v2.4; it is what I use to get my center mouse button to function as a double click. If it works for you then be sure to put it in your startup folder so that it starts every time you logon.

I cannot seem to find it on the web any more but I attached it below. It was freeware so there shouldn't be a problem with posting it but if the author wants it removed then please contact me or w7forums and we will remove it.

Note: it also includes a feature to do winamp stuff; I have no use for that piece of it so I disable it in the settings.

View attachment dblclick24.zip

Reaction score
@TrainableMan: I'm needing to try another double click software, and the one you use, dblclick I can no longer find the link to. Can you post the software again please? Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
dblclick24.zip

Download the zip file and create a folder DBLCLICK, then unzip the files into that folder. Next create a link in \Users\Bearpup\Start Menu\Startup to the dblclick.exe so that it starts up every time you log on. You can also run dblclick.exe now so that it starts working for your current logon.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You're Welcome. Hope it works for you as well as it does me.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, its not working any better than the one I normally use. Something has gone very wrong with my new computer, as its not recognizing either of the dblclick programs, mine and yours as well. Time to call Tech Support.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well it's possible the mouse is actually broken, I would test it on another computer and make sure the center button is recognized.

But it is more likely that some recent software installation is affecting its' functionality. For instance I seem to recall the Opera browser had its' own functionality for the middle-click. Look at what you've installed since it stopped functioning.

Reaction score
Well as I've said, this system is in rough shape. When I first tried, my DClick program wouldn't work even on a direct (non-shortcut) means of activation, while your dblclick program worked fine. Then I tried again, and now my original DClick program works fine, but your program doesn't work! I fear that my only recourse is to call Tech Support and have them tell me to reset the computer back to the original ship condition.

Ask a Question