OpenOffice now called LibreOffice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I read this and thought I would share. I do wonder what changes are in store for these apps.

The OpenOffice.org project is separating itself from database giant Oracle. OpenOffice.org is now called The Document Foundation, the future of which will be determined by a committee of developers and project managers, taking the responsibility for OpenOffice away from a single company. Furthermore, the actual OpenOffice.org suite of programs is getting a temporary name: LibreOffice. Add all that to the fact that OpenOffice was once called OpenSolaris, and we have a serious problem of brand recognition on our hands.
Read more here - http://www.techspot.com/news/40438-openoffice-forks-away-from-oracle-now-called-libreoffice.html

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Very interesting. I don't use it myself, but for the other thousands, I hope this is not heading into an area where, in future, it will be "shareware" (Try the demo and pay to continue)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
OpenOffice is okay for some users. Some of it is not compatible with MS Office 2007 or earlier versions of Office.

Tried it, didn't like it. Besides now I have a full version of Office Professional Plus 2010. It's better than 2007 version IMHO.

Reaction score
Tried it, didn't like it. Besides now I have a full version of Office Professional Plus 2010. It's better than 2007 version IMHO.
Agreed. Just don't forget to change the way it saves documents to Word 2003 format (.doc instead of .docx) so people who don't have 2007 or 2010 or who haven't installed the converter can open them.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Agreed. Just don't forget to change the way it saves documents to Word 2003 format (.doc instead of .docx) so people who don't have 2007 or 2010 or who haven't installed the converter can open them.
Better yet, the people who insist on using ancient software can install extra crap on their computers so they can read OOXML files along with the rest of the world.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I had OO installed once on XP, still do on Mint (by default), it's better than nothing. But it doesn't begin to compare with MS Office Pro Plus 2010. There's thousands of options for every need. But about all that I actually use are the budget sheets & greeting cards.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have always saved to the .doc format, learned my lesson early on that one! LOL!

When I first dabbled with Office 2007 I learned that one pretty quick about saving to the .doc format in lieu of .docx

Reaction score
It seems Open Office is still in development being updated. I don't understand this whole name changing thing they are working on. It seems to me, if Open Office was undergoing a name change, the old name would stop in development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question