SOLVED "Open with" dialog broken.

Reaction score
Hi,
I just discovered that if I right-click a file ( .txt , .avi , etc), and attempt to use "Open With", I do get a previously used list of programs to select from in the drop down list that appears.

However, if I then select the "choose default program ..." dialog box to find an alternative program, I keep ending up with the error message:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel."

To add insult to injury, I follow the instructions from the error message, by opening ''default programs / Set associations / Change program, and I get the"Open With" program selection box. The tick-box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is greyed out though! Therefore, I can't choose to set a program on a temporary setting.

Something is obviously broken, but I can't find anything on the net or these forums, so far. I tried re-booting without success. Looked at system restore and (STUPIDLY), I only have 2 very recent restore points to go back to yesterday with, (I've since increased the restore storage allowance for the drives).

Any help greatly appreciated, folks :)

Reaction score
Just to add, .....

The default file types doesn't seem to be the problem, as all my files do have default programs associated with them. I can even select one of the alternatives from the right-click pop-up option menu. I can also open and use the Default Program application via Control Panel.

The error message comes up as soon as I click on "choose default program...", from the bottom of the pop-up menu. It's as though that dialog isn't associated with the "Open with'' application anymore.

When I can get to the "Open with" application through other means, ..... the darn "Always use...." is greyed out, so it becomes a permanent selection / rather than temporary. Double checked the procedure on my other PC, and everything works as I thought it should.

I know I can sort a work-around out to re-select a default program, in a round-about way, ... but I'd just love to sort whatever has gone wrong with the right click context menu.

..... getting tired now .... feeling the problem may be in the "context menu handler", ....( but to be honnest, ... I haven't got a clue )... having searched around a bit more.

Just tried reading some of this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff521657%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

If anyone can translate something from the above, hehe .... or offer me any crumbs of hope for what direction I might go, in searching out where a potential registry error has occured, I'd be eternally grateful

Going to sleep on it a bit,

G'night for now, and thanks again.

Reaction score
SOLVED !!!!!!! ..... By Ramesh Srinivasan ..

Whilst browsing around Google, I came across this (but for Windows XP):
Clicking the "Open With" or "Choose Program..." option always opens the file with Notepad?

Note the second suggested error message. It's almost exactly what I'm getting in Win 7.

XP: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

Win 7 (my error message): "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs controll panel."

I decided to write to the author. He VERY kindly wrote back within the hour, and very shortly after that, informed me he'd posted an update on the very same page for a Windows 7 Reg-Fix.

I downloaded and installed it, after backing up my registry, .... and Voila.. the problem is solved !!! I am just soooooo thankful to him. Cheers Ramesh.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the fix.:)

Ask a Question