onboard sound vs. Addon sound card

Reaction score
What would be the advantages/disadvantages of onboard sound vs a sound card? With a sound add on card are there headers for front panels connections.? Would I see/hear a big difference in the sound?

Reaction score
Onboard sound will meet just about everyones needs.

I believe I remember someone mentioning the only time you would need a sound card was when working with audio production. For general surround sound playback, I believe the onboard is more than adequate.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When this was answered in the past they said you would be better off buying better speakers than buying an additional sound card.

Reaction score
Onboard sound will meet just about everyones needs.

I believe I remember someone mentioning the only time you would need a sound card was when working with audio production. For general surround sound playback, I believe the onboard is more than adequate.
When this was answered in the past they said you would be better off buying better speakers than buying an additional sound card.
I agree - put the money towards some very nice speakers and you'll be much better off. Personally, I've been eyeing the Bose Companion II for a while.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The Realtek HD Audio chipset found on most of the better quality motherboards is a VERY GOOD sound chipset.

It's the speakers that will make the difference for sure. Logitech makes some very good kicka$$ speakers for not too much money.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I am using my onboard soundcard but my hubbie is using an add-on soundcard (soundblaster). The biggest difference I see is that the soundblaster is highly configurable (via the Soundblaster Suite of Programs) compaired to my onboard. For him (the audio nut) it has a ton of features he uses every day that I wouldn't care about nor miss not having. So if your an audio nut that loves to tweak your sound, get an add-on but I feel for most the onboard is great.

Reaction score
Most modern MoBo's have at least 5.1 sound on-board.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
And, many have advanced 7.1 audio and many come with pretty sophisticated software for various enhancements and effects.

Ask a Question