SOLVED OEM System Builder/Win 7 Home Premium Sp1 64bit Install ?

Reaction score
Hello All,

Long story . I Have a HP PC was preloaded Win Vista (OEM).
System crashed & was w/out a working OS. I then Installed Win 8 trial to try it out as well as to be up and running.The trial period ended and did not have the funds to Purchase.As I understood tried various ISO DL's to re install Vista via HP/& MS, to no avail. I also was under the impression to go to Win 7 I would have to go from XP/Vista. So I borrowed a friends OS disk(wrong version LK does not work) to install vista so as to go back up to to Windows 7. I now have Vista loaded.
I was able to purchase a Windows 7 disk from Amazon. When it arrived I have purchased :
(1pk Win Home Prem7 Sp1 64bit Dsp Oei DVD) System Builder Pk.

The Vista Mach Is capable of 64/32 bit OS(2005 shipped with/3.467 CPU) which I have learned that that is true.Anyway,I have not opened the Box as I have learned that this Sys builder Pk. is not for end users? What can I do, Can i install this Pk. to this Mach and hope the Mother board doesn't die on me, where as I will not be able to re install from this disk to a new PC?

Where do I stand
I was not able to get an OEM for vista from HP and MS said that was the route I had to go, as there are no DL for Vista from MS.my end result Q: would be do I attempt to return this PK to Amazon and again loose money on shipping, or try my luck & install to my HP?

Hope someone has some good advise for me,
TY in advance
Sixwheeler

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
System Builder means Microsoft offers no support but how often do you call Microsoft for help anyway? Format the hard drive and install W7 Home Prem SP1 with the product key you bought and then support it yourself.

And yes hope the mobo doesn't die.

Reaction score
Hello Trainableman,

You mentioned the key, this set in the Box has a LK correct, because I only have a key for Vista. which I think is a stupid question, sorry just woke up. It has a key and prolly a sticker in the box.with OEM # and LK correct?

As well I have to install all drivers for chip set and device drivers too I presume.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes the product key will be on a card inside or on the DVD.

W7 will have most of the drivers but it is a good idea to download the latest 64bit drivers. At the very least get the network drivers because if you can't get it to connect to the internet then you can't download the drivers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It has a key and prolly a sticker in the box.with OEM # and LK correct?
The OEM disk does come with Case Stickers. Its part of the OEM installation requiring the technician to place an OEM sticker on the machine they installed the OS to. It also signifies the fact that the license is bound to that machine(specifically the motherboard) after activation.

Reaction score
I think I will just send it Back to amazon for refund, And locate the full install disk locally.
I do not want to take the chance of the mother board going bad on this HP, and not being able to use the disk to load another PC.
Thanks for all your help-
Any suggestions on locating to purchase a win 7 Full install disk?
Six-

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You know your Vista that came with the computer was OEM too which meant it died with the computer as well. For damaged MOBOs, I believe legally as long as you replace it with the exact same make and model you are still in compliance.

Personally I think using that system builder is your best choice unless you plan to build a new computer in the next 2 or 3 years. I haven't checked prices lately but a year ago I could have bought 2 system builders for the price of one full.

Reaction score
Well you got me thinking now. I would have to look up that Mother board to see if it is still available to be replaced. I have 2 other Machs. in the House,1 laptop win8,one PC win7 home premium. So getting drivers should not be that hard (sure,sure). The vista OEM for the Mach. why did it die when it there is nothing wrong with the Hardware?

So your suggestion would be to go ahead with the install? what if I have trouble finding drivers for devices on this HP? As well as mobo drivers?, and then where am I.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The vista OEM for the Mach. why did it die when it there is nothing wrong with the Hardware?
Your Vista OEM license did not die, if you had a Vista DVD and your Vista Product key then you could reinstall. I was simply saying if you ever broke your computer or upgraded the MOBO then you would have been "in the same boat" as with a system builder license, which is to say if you don't repair the computer with the same make/model MOBO then your license dies with the old computer MOBO.

You upgraded to Win 8 but afterwards you could have then reformatted your harddrive and installed Vista if you had the same version Vista that came on the computer and you knew your Vista Product key. And that would be perfectly legal; but whatever Vista you tried was either the wrong version or you didn't have the proper product key or something Win 8 wasn't properly removed first (I'm not familiar with downgrading from W8 trial so I don't know what you were required to do).

So your suggestion would be to go ahead with the install? what if I have trouble finding drivers for devices on this HP? As well as mobo drivers?, and then where am I.
For your actual computer including the MOBO, drivers should be available at HP/Compaq. Extra devices you attached such as printers, scanners, and external cameras, external hard drives, etc would need to be downloaded from their respective manufacturers (but let W7 connect to the internet and it will likely find working versions for those as well).

So I would check HP for 64-bit drivers first (preferably Win7 but Vista 64-bit should work if no W7 are offered) and if 64-bit is actually supported then I would say yes, most definitely, I think you should go ahead with the install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for responding,

Correct I did not have the right vr. Vista but the key for vista home.W8 trial required purchase to w8 (install) no funds at the time.To get w7 installed was require to have xp-vista. The recovery Partition was also corrupt as well.

At this point doesn't Matter I have installed w7 home pr. working fine all drivers located and loaded/chip set model(i945G) Intel/bios vr.AMT 5.12/CPU @ 3.467 GHz./2005 HP compac/150GBSATA Primary 40GB IDS Secondary/4x 2.0 USB Ports/ATI RadeonHD 3400 srs.video 512MB/
good build./shiped 512MB RAM(4 slots 2x ddr2/loaded 2-2x!GB sticks(kingston).

Trouble though with the first set of win updts. stalled at 99/106-
all are in now- rrrrrrr MS updates lol. I will see how it goes seems to run quick just like the trial win7 Ult. 64bit/ very proud of this Mach went through a lot of shit but still runs great @64bit encryption.

Again TY for all your thoughts and suggestions Trainableman
~SIX~

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So you got W7 installed & with a minor bump got it updated; that is excellent, well-done.

Reaction score
Yes, all is well using MSE for security this go round.Boot up/Shut Down awesome too.
As well thank you.Now if I can just get My Toshiba to stop Random shut downs on Win 8 lol.
whole other thread and community :).

Cheers,
~SIX~

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
We do have a sister forum with a lot of regulars from here that have moved up to windows 8 ... Win8Forums.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS updates which can include changes to ACPI. Also there must be something like in W7 related to sleep and hibernation settings.

Ask a Question