Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 driver resolution issue

Reaction score
Hi

I hope someone here can help or at least let me know if Windows may provide a newer driver for this particular video card.

I have a Compaq D510 CMT. The processor is Pentium 4 and has a 2.4 GHz processor. I have an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Video card with 256 MB of RAM.

The card seems to work quite well with Windows 7, except that the highest resolution I can get with the present driver is 1280 x 1024, but this naturally stretches the screen. I can set it to a nice 1280 x 800 which looks pretty good on my 19" monitor.

However, I would like to get a resolution of 1440 x 900 for my 19" monitor but this options is not available. Do I perhaps have the wrong driver? I am presently using the one I downloaded with Windows 7 in the Device Manager. The driver version is 9.6.8.5 and is dated 10/9/2006.

It is not on this list on the Nvidia site

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1241025430517.html

Will windows perhaps be updating this driver for this card? Is there something I am not getting here?

Also, I do not know if this card is going to get more support from Windows.

Supposedly this driver will work for windows 7 but I have been unable to successfully install it.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85_2.html

Any help in this area for this card would be nice. I really like Windows 7.

Shawn

Last edited:
Reaction score
The NVIDIA GeForce FX series is not officially supported on Windows 7 by Microsoft or NVIDIA due to its age.

Your best bet is to:
1. Download the NVIDIA driver version 190.62 for Windows Vista and Windows 7 32-bit from this location: http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win7x32/190.62/disclaimer
2. Extract the driver to a temporary folder.
3. Download the modified INF file from the same page you downloaded the driver. Save the INF file to the same temporary folder you extracted the drivers to.
4. Answer "yes" when prompted to replace the file.
5. Run setup.exe from the temporary folder.

This should get your video card working on Windows 7, but realize that you may not be able to run Aero.

Reaction score
Hi

I am presently using this driver:
19062_win7x32.exe

However after first installing it, I only got a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 on my 19" monitor which has a resolution of 1440 x 900. I am hoping to gain a resolution of 1440 x 900.

After installing the above driver, I updated it using Windows because there was also a small yellow exclamation mark on it in device manager. After the update, I now have a resolution of 1360 x 768. This is a little better, but I still want a 1440 x 900 res.

Is it possible for me to get the res I want from this driver or can you anyone here recommend a better modified driver that will unlock whatever my video card is capable of? I would really appreciate any and all suggestions for such a driver.

Note: I also tried installing this driver, but without success
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85_2.html

Reaction score
HELP

I downloaded the 19062_win7x32.exe and the modded file for it but i still get the same error that i have been for a while now..
"the nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware" i really need to get this fx 5200 working for windows 7 because for the time being i am running off a stock onboard video card from a really old PC....

P.S. i don't know if this is bad but i cannot find the fx 5200 on my PC under Device Manager if i plug it in after i turn on my PC (whenever i turn on my PC with it plugged in, the monitor doesn't respond or turn on)

THANKS!

Reaction score
i think it may have something to do with the fact that i cannot find it in Device Manager

Reaction score
That's the latest driver available and the one that should be installed on 7.

In device manager, it is currently shown as the Standard VGA in display adapters section. Installing the driver will fix that.

Use the device manager to install if needed, while pointing it to the extracted folder from the downloaded driver.

Reaction score
ok i have a....different type of copy of windows so i was a little iffy on updating but i will now

Reaction score
BAH! after i updated and restarted i tried to run the startup.exe and it gave me the same error so then i turned off my computer and plugged the card in it and plugged the monitor into the card and still nothing appears on the monitor...

HELP!!

(i believe the standard VGA under devise manager is my onboard card)

Reaction score
i updated and restarted and tried to run startup.exe and it gave me the "the nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware" error and closed so then i turning off my computer and putting the card in but when i turned it on the monitor did not turn on at all (and yes I did plug the monitor into the card) I do not know what i am doing wrong here so if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it

(I think the standard VGA graphics is my onboard P.O.S. video card)

sorry for the double post

Last edited:
Reaction score
SOLVED: NVIDIA 5200 FX Windows 7 64-bit DRIVER

There is no official Windows 7, 64-bit driver that I could find, but I had success using the driver for Vista-64bit.

Circles are now circles rather than eggs on their side.

: )

Ask a Question