Number of installs allowed w/upgrade disc?

Reaction score
Currently have 3 computers that I will be upgrading to Win 7 (running RC dual booting on 2 now): a laptop currently running XP, desktop running Vista x86/RC x86 and a desktop running RC x64/Vista x64.

I believe I read the disk will have both x86 & x64 versions. My question is will there a limit to installs/activations from one Win 7 Upgrade disc?

Sam

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :D

Unless you've bought W7 with some sort of special licensing agreement (like one of the volume install types available to corporations) then it's 1 license = 1 install. :)

Reaction score
Currently have 3 computers that I will be upgrading to Win 7
Sam
There is some speculation about a "family" pack offering in the offing. Multiple licenses in a box kinda thing.

HERE is a Bing search on the topic for ya.

Ciaozers!

Reaction score
There is some speculation about a "family" pack offering in the offing. Multiple licenses in a box kinda thing.
Didn't know about this :D If this works out cheaper than going for 3 pre-order boxes of Home Premium then I'll go for it.

Reaction score
You can install as many times as you want but you can only activate with the key once.

I don't think MS would be stupid enough to make the family pack cost less than 3 preorders of Windows 7. That would anger so many people

Reaction score
I don't think MS would be stupid enough to make the family pack cost less than 3 preorders of Windows 7. That would anger so many people
They have already angered people who got Vista preloaded on "recovery" partitions on their computers when they bought them, and the Vista Ultimate people, so why stop there?

They just have to wait until the preorder deal is over with to announce the family package pricing.

Microsoft is a corporation after all.

Reaction score
Microsoft has nothing to do with preloads and recovery partitions. That's strictly an OEM decision, and discs can be had for a small fee.

Reaction score
Microsoft has nothing to do with preloads and recovery partitions. That's strictly an OEM decision, and discs can be had for a small fee.

I don't call $40/US$ a "small fee" for something I already paid for!

And at that, you still don't get actual Windows disks. You get a disk image of the recovery partition. I know, I've checked!

So, Yay! 1 step forward , 2 steps back.

Nevertheless, it should be possible to TYPE in a product code to do an upgrade, which according to all the answers I have received on the subject is:

Who Knows? I haven't received an answer to any of the direct questions I have asked of MS.

And allowing the keying in of a product code IS Microsoft's decision. Which is and always has been my point.

Doesn't leave me with a whole lot of options, Thrax.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which OEM was that Satchmo? I know that there are some like Dell that will provide you with the install CDs if you pay a small fee (or make a fuss to them ;)).

Reaction score
Which OEM was that Satchmo? I know that there are some like Dell that will provide you with the install CDs if you pay a small fee (or make a fuss to them ;)).
Those HP-Compaq s.o.b.'s.:)

I think I'll write a stern letter to the CEO of HP.

Or go egg his house. :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Those HP-Compaq s.o.b.'s.:)

I think I'll write a stern letter to the CEO of HP.

Or go egg his house. :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:
I think you can create some recovery disks yourself to restore it to it's original condition (instructions here on HP's site).

However, I do agree that OEMs should make an effort to include the install disks rather than just restore disks. It's been a long time since I bought an off the shelf PC (last one was a Dell laptop about 4 years ago), so I'm not up to date with current practises.

Ask a Question