Number of installs allowed by Win7

Reaction score
I have been asked a question about limitations to installing Win7...Are you limited to only ever being able to install on one computer (Not talking about two machines at the one time)

1.How many changes to your computer before you have to reregister (Harddrives etc.)
2.Rebuild a computer and you wish to install on your new machine..Scrap the other machine or uninstall Win7.
3.Any variation to these questions between Retail Version and a OEM Version

The person who asked this question wan'ts to rebuild in about 12mths but would like to start using Win7 now..I have never run into this situation and my first instinct was to tell him no problem??:eek:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You can re-install Windows as many times as you like on the same PC if the hardware doesn't change significantly (for example, adding RAM is a minor upgrade). Changing the motherboard/CPU will likely mean you need to re-activate. The hardware monitored for changes are:

Display Adapter
SCSI Adapter
IDE Adapter
Network Adapter (including the MAC Address)
RAM Amount Range (e.g. 0-512 MB)
Processor Type and Serial Number
Hard Drive Device and Volume Serial Number
Optical Drive (e.g. CD-ROM)

You will need to reactivate Windows if you uninstall it from one PC and then install it on another. If the automatic activation doesn't work, you'll be presented with a free number to call and manually activate it over the phone.

Retail versions can be used on any PC, as long as it's only on a single computer at any one time. For example, you can scrap an old PC and move the license to a new computer as long as it was removed from the old PC first.

OEM versions are tied to the machine, and there is a bit more information on this in the EULA (End User License Agreement). Installing a new hard drive or upgrading the ram won't effect the license, so you will be able to upgrade the PC to an extent.

Reaction score
Hi there

You almost answered the question yourself - the answer lies in question 3

Which version of windows would the user be purchasing - OEM or Retail

The main differences between the two is that with an OEM version the licence is NOT transferable to another machine. The serial is tied into the system by the motherboard. Any major change in hardware will invalidate the licence. Also OEM versions are not intended for general retail. They are for system builders only, at one time you had to buy hardware in order to purchase an OEM, most people got around this by purchasing a mouse at the same time. No software support comes with OEM's by the way of Microsoft, it is up to the system builder to provide any support for the software.

A retail version is a different in that you can transfer the operating system across to a different system, but you must only be installed on one machine at any time, once you have installed the operating system on the new computer it must be removed from the old computer. Retail version also tend to come in a nice fancy box, unlike the OEM version which usually comes in a plain sleeve. You also get full support from Microsoft for the operating system.

Another big difference between the two is the price. Usually the retail version can cost over twice as much as an OEM. What I would say is to look at what offers Microsoft have running regarding the retail version. Normally it is cheaper to purchase OEM twice (once for each computer) rather than buying a retail version and transferring the licence. At the present Microsoft is pushing windows out with various offers, they had the pre release offer where the retail version of premium could be picked up for as little as £50, unfortunately this offer has expired and has moved up to its next pricing stage. Windows 7 premium is currently now on offer at £79.99 from Microsoft themselves. There is also the new students offer in the UK and in other other countries where Windows 7 can be picked up from £30. As far as I am aware the pricing for any OEM has not been released, but with the offers that around it may be beneficial to take advantage of them while they are around.

EDIT: Looks like Ian beat me to it while I was typing :)

Reaction score
OEM v Retail

Thanks everyone for your info. will pass it on.. all my Windows versions are Retail so that is why I have'nt come across this:)

Ask a Question