NUM LOCK comes on when I turn off the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
NUM LOCK light comes up every time when I turn off the computer (Windows 7). With other keyboard is the same thing.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Check your BIOS ... Disable Boot Up Numlock

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have my Bootup Numlock enabled and don't have any issues at all with it.

That's strange that is should do that when the computer is turned off.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From what wb2 is saying he/she doesn't WANT it enabled - I think wb2 likely notices it when he/she next starts up and only thinks it is on shutdown.

If you don't want numlock on at boot then it needs disabled; I, like Nibs, have mine enabled because I like numlock on.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I really don't know what the issue is on this, all he has to do is press the Num Lock key and presto!

Reaction score
From what wb2 is saying he/she doesn't WANT it enabled - I think wb2 likely notices it when he/she next starts up and only thinks it is on shutdown.

If you don't want numlock on at boot then it needs disabled; I, like Nibs, have mine enabled because I like numlock on.
The NUM LOCK light is off during the use of the computer. It comes on during the process of turning off the computer. It does not do any harm, but I believe is not right. I can not get to BIOS to turn it off. I was told to hit F10 but nothing hapens. That probably is a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Okay, so from what you're saying is that the NUM LOCK light just blinks on and then off, right?

That's just the way the system is, it's no big deal.

Don't worry about it. It's not like it will cause a massive E.M.P. and destroy all solid-state circuits in a 10 KM radius. :eek:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
The NUM LOCK light is off during the use of the computer. It comes on during the process of turning off the computer. It does not do any harm, but I believe is not right. I can not get to BIOS to turn it off. I was told to hit F10 but nothing hapens. That probably is a problem.
Ahhh! A new problem.

wb2aqc, I think it is important for you to learn how to get into the BIOS. Can you tell us what make and model your computer is? Some computers require you to hit the F2 or Delete key. Mine is F10

Reaction score
NUM LOCK

In the maintenance section of the computer I found that getting to BIOS I have to hit F1, f12, DELETE, esc or a combination. I tried all four of them but could not get to BIOS. I don't know what "combination" should I try.
The computer (Windows 7) is Model CQ 5329F, made by HP, PC brand Presario, Product # BK137AA-ABA.
Ahhh! A new problem.

wb2aqc, I think it is important for you to learn how to get into the BIOS. Can you tell us what make and model your computer is? Some computers require you to hit the F2 or Delete key. Mine is F10

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To get to the BIOS you have to start with the computer off. Once you turn on the power switch you have a few seconds (it is also very common to see a notice in the bottom right corner saying F10 configuration or something of that sort) so quickly hit F10, hit del, hit F2 - if you see the starting windows animation then you missed it and need to start over.

If the numlock comes on as you shut down, why would that matter? What would matter is what state it is in when it boots - you aren't going to use it when it's turned off but when it starts up you may actually have a reason to want it on or off.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The issue is that NUM LOCK is not suppose to come up when I turned off the computer.
It's the nature of the Windows shutdown, it has NOTHING to do with your BIOS... period!

Get used to it, quit worrying about it.

Reaction score
It's a bit unusual for a computer to have it's NUM LOCK light constantly turned on forever, when the computer is turned off. So interesting if there was a solution for it not to be turned on all night long.

It's the nature of the Windows shutdown, it has NOTHING to do with your BIOS... period!

Get used to it, quit worrying about it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
janolsen, if you want your numlock light turned off ... just hit the numlock key.

This thread is over two years old so if you have more questions please, start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question