No sound in Windows 7

Reaction score
No sound after Windows 7 update - tried everything!

My Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit is a DVD, and was purchased last year - did not come with the computer - I upgraded from XP and there was no problem. Until...

The only part of the sound card (onboard) that does not work is the blue, which of course is the sound input.

The Windows mixer says all devices are working... nothing is unchecked... and I have used Matt's Run Audio software to diagnose... it finds no problems.

The key is that apparently the codecs were wiped out after an update a few months ago. I re-installed via my motherboard's CD (Asus)... no go. Also, today, downloaded the latest Realtek drivers from the Realtek site... dated 1-7-2011 - they don't work, either.

Also after the Windows update, any and all restore points I set are lost upon reboot. Thus, rollbacks are impossible.

I have no idea where to find the original codecs,,,, please help? I am desperate. Thanks!

Reaction score
Uninstall audio drivers completely and then install the driver that is working.

1. Click Start,type Device Manager in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Sound, video, and game controllers.

3. Locate the audio device that was included with the computer.

3. Right-click the device, and then click Properties.

4. Click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall.

5. Place a check mark next to"Delete the Driver Software for this device" check box, and then click OK.

6. Install the driver that is working.

7. Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps

Ask a Question