No sound in Windows 7

Reaction score
I've finally got Windows 7 running on my computer, but I can't get sound working on it at all. It doesn't detect my sound card so I can't listen to any music or play games on it :(

Is there anything I can do to fix this or will I just have to wait to the full release?

Reaction score
First off, how did you get Windows 7?! lol

Secondly you should be able to use the DVD that came with your computer to install the driver for sound. There may be 1 or 2 DVD's, if there is more than 1, the drivers are usually on the 1st DVD. Just pop it in and it should give you 2 options. 1 is to reformat and 1 is to install drivers, you want that one, then just scroll through the list until you find your sound card driver and install. It should be that easy.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you, I managed to get it working by running Windows Update and it got some newer drivers for my onboard sound card that worked.

WindowsSe7en, I'm using the pre-beta build that everyone seems to have ;)

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you, I managed to get it working by running Windows Update and it got some newer drivers for my onboard sound card that worked.

WindowsSe7en, I'm using the pre-beta build that everyone seems to have ;)
Well why don't I have this pre-beta build! lol

Reaction score
vpc no sound

im using virtual pc to play with windows 7 and cant gat any sound any suggestions?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
im using virtual pc to play with windows 7 and cant gat any sound any suggestions?
Have you used Windows Update to scan for drivers? (You'll need to set up the network connection to allow internet access through the host PC). That did the trick for most people :)

Reaction score
I had the same problem using Virtual PC - solution was to restart the "Multimedia Class Scheduler" service (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

But I found other problems with playing multimedia files as per posting here. :)

Reaction score
re: no sound

i've tried to have windows update my drivers. and i even have the cd that came with my mb. but.... this cd only works with xp and vista and windows 7 will not recongise my sound card.... even after i install these drivers. and i tried your multimedia class scheduler and no luck ? so i dont know if this a compatibility issue with win7 or if i just dont have a clue ? im doing.

any more sugestions ?

Reaction score
How to resolve the sound problem in Windows 7

i've tried to have windows update my drivers. and i even have the cd that came with my mb. but.... this cd only works with xp and vista and windows 7 will not recongise my sound card.... even after i install these drivers. and i tried your multimedia class scheduler and no luck ? so i dont know if this a compatibility issue with win7 or if i just dont have a clue ? im doing.

any more sugestions ?
Hello!
I have installed Windows 7 on my desktop computer [AMD CPU 1800 MHz, 1 gb RAM, onboard SIS video card with 128 shared RAM] and everything worked good, but not the sound. My computer has a ECS motherboard with onboard sound card. The Realtek sound driver I used for xp wasn't accepted by Windows 7. I tried to find a driver on the motherboard producer site, but wasn't any new. So I downloaded from www.download.cnet.com Realtek High Definition Audio Codec (Windows Vista / Windows 7) R2.31 (08/24/2009) and installed; during installation I got a message that the driver isn't compatible, but iI still installed. After that, I noticed I had no sound. I verified with Device Manager if the driver is installed and if the sound card is recognized, and everithing was ok, but I had no sound. I run dxdiag, and I used Help, so I ended to Sounds [also you can get to Sounds by Start / Control Panel / Sounds. On the Playback tab were Speakers and below Realtek Digital Output. Speakers was the default device, and I set Realtek Digital Output as default device... and, voila... I've got the sound on my computer.
Hope this is useful to someone else.
Good luck

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
When you are running an operating system in Virtual PC (or Virtual Box) the audio & video is emulated and may not use the same drivers that your computer has installed. For example, I can be using a Sound Blaster card in my computer but the Virtual PC may use a Realtech emulation so you'd need the Realtech driver for the Virtual PC.

Reaction score
need list of sound cards that WIN 7 can use

Just received and installed Win 7 on a Dell 4550 in a separate partition.
Dual boot: Win 7 and XP. Upgraded the memory to 1 gb. Got a 4 gb
USB thumb drive. Upgraded the video to an NVidia 6200 AGP card.
Got a new 19" Widescreen monitor. Thought that I was ready to upgrade
to Win7. Who knew that the audio would be the point that WIN7 would
have so much trouble? For the Dell 4550 the sound is integrated -
think that it is SoundMax.

Minutes later... Windows update must have found a driver for it, because
I received a message: Intel(r)82801DB/DBM AC97 audio controller device driver
installed successfully. Thank you windows update.

Now to see if the hp psc 2170 works.

Last edited:
Reaction score
sound isnt working..tried installing the driver but wasnt compatible for win 7..the driver was meant only for win 2000.2003.xp.and vista..can anyone help..would be really gratefull
and if i run windows xp the sound works perfectly...

Reaction score
Fix For No Sound on Computer in Win 7

I upgraded from Vista to Win 7, and there was no sound coming out from my speakers. This will fix it. Go to:
  • Start
  • Control Panel
  • Hardware & Sound
  • Under "Devises & Printers," click on "Device Manager"
  • Scroll down until you see Sound, Video, and Game Controllers
  • Click on this
  • On the file that is indented, right click on it
  • Click on "Update Driver Software"
  • Choose the manual option, "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Click on Browse
  • Now you need to know where your audio drivers are installed on your computer. Mine were at C:\Drivers\Audio\
  • You should have the right driver after Audio. I am working on a Dell XPS M1330, so my driver is R167846. If you are on a different computer, then you can go to Dell's website and locate the proper audio driver for your computer. Download this into your Audio folder. Then go back and do what I've listed above. Your should should be working after this!

Reaction score
i have a compaq presario v5000 notebook (xp) and i installed a clean copy of windows 7. no audio drivers, so no sound. i was searching for 3 days and no drivers would install. i was about to give up until just now...went to the compaq website and it told me that there was no such drivers for the operating system (windows 7) so i told them i had xp and it put me to this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...8&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=499847#

i downloaded the second one down: conexant high definition audio driver....and job done

Last edited by a moderator:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You could have downloaded the VISTA drivers and they would be more compatible with Windows 7.

Good to see it all worked out.

Reaction score
I am running win7 on my Intel 2.4, 1Gig ram, MSI MS-7095 (Socket 478) Motherboard with onboard sound. The sound is: VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller.
The sound worked perfectly on XP sp3 and when I changed over to win7 it worked fine. But the I started to experience that the sound would "dissapear" from time to time and now I have no sound at all. I tried different drivers, updating DirectX, Change of speakers, other sound card( Turned out to be compatible up to XP). . .
I see that davinci2 poseted that "On the Playback tab were Speakers and below Realtek Digital Output. Speakers was the default device, and I set Realtek Digital Output as default device" and mine is also on Speakers. But there is no other optinion to choose from.
I am realy at my witts end. . .
Any idea's?

Reaction score
I am running win7 on my Intel 2.4, 1Gig ram, MSI MS-7095 (Socket 478) Motherboard with onboard sound. The sound is: VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller.
The sound worked perfectly on XP sp3 and when I changed over to win7 it worked fine. But the I started to experience that the sound would "dissapear" from time to time and now I have no sound at all. I tried different drivers, updating DirectX, Change of speakers, other sound card( Turned out to be compatible up to XP). . .
I see that davinci2 poseted that "On the Playback tab were Speakers and below Realtek Digital Output. Speakers was the default device, and I set Realtek Digital Output as default device" and mine is also on Speakers. But there is no other optinion to choose from.
I am realy at my witts end. . .
Any idea's?
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Ask a Question