No sound after installing Windows7

Reaction score
AFter installing W7 I don't have any sound anymore.
Can somebody help me?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Did you install your audio driver?

Have you gone to the Control Panel - Sound and see what is showing there?

Did you check the Device Manager to see if you have any "Yellow" warning signs?

Reaction score
No SOund

Yes Windows installed the High Definition Audio Driver.
I tried to delete it and after starting up again the driver was installed by Windows.
I have the idea that Windows uses the wrong driver.Do you know how I can see what kind of audio hardware I have in the PC?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
What is your computer? Laptop or desktop?

More than likely you have a RealTek Audio chipset.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Go to the OEM site of your computer, most have drivers & downloads for most recent makes & models of computers (usually anything built in the last five years). Dell goes back way further than that. You should be able to get your sound driver in this manner. And Welcome to the forum, HTeuling! Should you need further help, feel free to post at anytime.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
It is a desktop
I KNEW I should have been more specific! What is the make and model of your desktop?

Do you know what make the audio chipset is?

We really can't help you unless you give us specific information.

Reaction score
No sound

It is an ASUS system P5VD2-VM / P5V-VM SE DH and according to the user's guide it is a SoundMAX ADI1986A Audio Driver.
I have tried to find this driver but up to now I did not succeed?

So your help is very much appreciated!
BR
Herman

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It is an ASUS system P5VD2-VM / P5V-VM SE DH and according to the user's guide it is a SoundMAX ADI1986A Audio Driver.
I have tried to find this driver but up to now I did not succeed?

So your help is very much appreciated!
BR
Herman
You can go to Driver Max, they have a free version that allows you to get two drivers per day. You have to register, then download a tool that scans your computer and compares your installed drivers with the latest ones in their database. You will be shown a list of outdated ones, and you can download the ones you choose. See if this helps.

Reaction score
Yes I did try the ASUS website, but I could not find anything. Also on a contact message I did not get any response (good service....?!).
I am now trying to download via Driver Max, but after 3 tries, no success yet.
Does someone know how to test if it is the driver or may be the hardware itself?

Thanks again!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Try using the Vista drivers instead, they usually work in most case of no Windows 7 drivers being available.

A sreenshot of the ASUS website.

The following model of ASUS motherboard uses a Realtek audio chipset:

Reaction score
Thanks for your advices. I have installed the Vista 32 bits driver, but still no sound at all. As a matter of fact the sound already disappeared after installing Vista over XP. But I had fixed that but after installing SP2 in Vista it disappeared again. So I thought let me upgrade to W7, which also did not work, so I did a completely clean installation (with guidance from MS servicedesk). But after installing still no sound. Is there a way of testing if it is HW or SW?
Thanks again!
Herman

Ask a Question