No output to projector through S-video

Reaction score
Ever since I put a new hard drive in my laptop and put Windows 7 on it I have not been able to play video out to a TV or projector through the S-video port.
Is there a fix for this? A driver issue?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, it's most likely a driver issue. Manufacturer / model of laptop ? 32 or 64-bit Win7 ? Integrated S-video connection or a usb tuner or what - please specify manufacturer / brand (if not integrated) ?

Reaction score
Agreed about driver issue but can't hurt to try this....

Anyhow, does Windows Key + P help out?

Reaction score
It is a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Win 7 32 bit install...not an upgrade but the full operating system. It has an integrated S-video output. When I bought the laptop it came with Vista, but the hard drive went bad, that's why I got a new hard drive.
It play the videos fine on the monitor, but I can't get any output through S-video in any way...duplicate monitor, extend settings to another monitor, etc. Also, pressing the Windows key + P didn't help. Changing the screen resolution didn't help either.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI, once it is installed on a computer there is no difference in the upgrade or the full version except in legal terms, as an upgrade key legally requires you own a previous key.

If you go to control panel - device manager, down under sound, video & game controllers are all the devices listed there "functioning properly"?

Reaction score
Tried it. Didn't work. Went to toshiba.com and tried downloading drivers. Didn't work. I've tried hooking up an S-video-to-co/ax RF converter. Didn't work.
The laptop originally had Vista installed, but the new hard drive has Windows 7. Does Windows 7 not support S-video output?

Reaction score
It does.

I've been around a while and know about these things from that.

The video companies AMD and NVIDIA direct people to get a brand new S-Video cable that have your circumstances. Yes, even when it works fine on Vista/XP. If all else fails, I would definitely try this.

I'm just forwarding information I know. If it doesn't work out, I'm not making any guarantees here. I think chances are good since in may forums, users reported as such.

I can make you a driver from the latest Catalyst 10.5. If you want me to, do this:

Right click the video card in Device Manager. Properties. Details tab. Change the dropdown to say hardware ids. Then copy and paste the info here.

Last edited:

Ask a Question