No Drives Were Found. Click Load Driver....

Reaction score
My system goes into a BSOD every 15 minutes and I can't seem to solve it, so I am starting over. (Probably a hardware problem that doesn't show up in diagnostics, but I will know for sure once I load a new windows).

My Toshiba U845 doesn't have a recovery partition (or my son deleted it) so I can't do a recovery.
I tried doing an upgrade, but it crashed about half way through. That leaves doing a Custom Install.

When I go there it tells me "no drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation".

When I do that it tells me "to install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files." I sure don't have an installation media; I am booting off a USB Windows ISO I downloaded.

So, how do I get past this?
I read in another post that this problem could have to do with a SSD, but there was no solution given in that post.
I have a hybrid drive with a 16gb SSD.
In fact, my BSOD references iastor.sys, which I am told has to do with the hybrid drive.

So, how do I get past this? Thanks.
(I probably have about 30 hours into this problem already....)

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, so have you re-installed?
If you haven't then are you able to upload the crash dump files. They will typically be in the c:\Windows directory and end with dmp.

Reaction score
Attached are two dumpfiles. The later one is (I think, it gets confusing) from when the system crashed while trying to do an upgrade. It (IIRC) references iastor.sys like the original error messages before I did anything.

Iastor refers to the RAID drivers. Windows tells me I have the current one and it is the latest one on Toshiba's driver download page, but Intel's driver download page has a more recent driver, so I tried that. It didn't help any, still crashed in 15 minutes, but it gave a very different error message; so I have included that dumpfile also. (at least I think I did)

Any help would be appreciated; I am at my wit's end.

Actually I can't upload the dumpfiles! It doesn't see .dmp files. What to do?
Okay, I saw someone uploaded a .zip, so I downloaded zip software and uploaded the dumpfiles as a .zip.
If there is a better way...

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

The best way to start is by scanning for viruses/Malware.

1/ Download CPU-Z and run it. Go to the "About" tab and save it as a txt (text) file. Upload the text file to the forum.
2/ Please download and run Windows Defender Offline. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.
3/ Download and run TDSSKiller.
4/ Install Malwarebytes (Free Version) and scan your computer.

This is so that we are not heading in the wrong direction.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

If you could upload that CPU-Z report first, I would appreciate it. The report tells us exactly what your hardware is.

Reaction score
Did you perchance try to install from a Win7 USB Installer on a USB3 drive and put it in a USB3 slot?

If so put it in a USB 2 slot and it should work, else you can also insert the driver CD that came with mobo and install the USB drivers off that I *think*

Reaction score
Attached is the cpuz file.
I downloaded TDSSkiller and it found nothing.
I ran Microsoft Security Essentials and SuperAntiSpyWare when the problem first surfaced. They found a few things and cleaned them. I doubt my system will stay up long enough to load Malwarebytes, but will try.
I don't think I have either a USB3 drive or slot, and no CD or DVD came with the computer.

I loaded and ran Malwarebytes. It found 35 instances of various PUP.Optional which it cleard.
I could not run the Windows defender because it said it couldn't find a disk. Presumably it is missing the same driver that the Windows install is missing.

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What is the make/model of your computer? Drivers can usually be downloaded from the manufacturers site, especially if Windows 7 doesn't have the driver built in to it's Installation files.

Reaction score
Toshiba U845. Yes, Toshiba has the drivers, and I have them on the computer. The issue is that the Windows installation USB can't see the disk because it doesn't have the drivers, so it can't see the drives on the disk.

If I could download the drivers to the Windows installation USB that might work, but I don't know how that would be done.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is it the hard drive that Install cannot locate? Is it an SSD? The Windows 7 installation DVD did not include drivers for certain RAID levels or for Solid State Drives so it could be as simple as changing the RAID level in the BIOS or swapping in another USB stick with the drivers you need when the installation asks for them.

Reaction score
It is a hybrid drive with a 16gb SSD. It says it can't find the drive and needs the CD with the drivers.
I can get the drivers from Toshiba as tc70124600j.exe , but how do I get them on the USP drive? If I click on it, it will want to install them.
Can I put them on the Windows Install USP drive rather than on a separate drive?

Reaction score
When it says insert disk you should be able to take out win 7 cd and put the cd driver or put the driver on USB and plug that in.

Reaction score
I understand that, but of course I don't have a win 7 cd or a cd drive. How do i put the driver on the USB. It doesn't say what driver it wants; I presume it has to do with the harddrive, but what, and how?

Shintaro

Reaction score
There appears to be different versions of the Satelite U845. (See attached)
Which one is it? There is a sticker under the laptop that should indicate it exactly.

Attachments

Reaction score
There appears to be different versions of the Satelite U845. (See attached)
Which one is it? There is a sticker under the laptop that should indicate it exactly.

Sorry, I assumed they were all about the same U845-S406. PSU4SU-007002

I unzipped the driver installation file and there are no drives in it, but several .cab files. I presume the driver installation program gets the drives from the .cab files, but they wouldn't be useful to the windows installation program. Am I wrong about that?

Shintaro

Reaction score
My apologies mate, I thought that the CAB (Cabinet) files would extract.
Could you have a look in Device Manager and let me know that make and the model of you hard disk/SSD.

For some reason CPU-Z doesn't show it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On a different computer...
The file tc70124600j.exe is just a self-extracting zip so simply rename it to tc70124600j.zip

In the zip file you have these files:
Toiler-drivers.jpg

Create a folder on your W7 Installation USB flash drive, call it TC, and drag all 20 of those files from the zip file into the TC folder on the flash drive.

Then on your Toshiba Satellite ...
Boot up the computer to the W7 Installation Flash Drive.

When it asks for missing drivers choose "browse" and point it to the usb's \TC folder

Note: This is worth trying but I'm not positive it will work - it all depends if the drivers you need are in that file you listed.

Reaction score
1) I tried moving the files to the W7 installation flash drive. The program responds as though nothing was there, so presumably it is looking for something else.

2) According to "properties", it has a intel 62ET5921R33G36XY and a intel SSDSpace. It shows the drivers as disk.sys iastorf.sys and partmgr.sys. I have found the first and third on the harddrive, but not iastorf.sys. The closest I get is iastorv.sys.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think you should try the Toshiba Intel RAID Drivers in TC70132900D.exe. Rename it to .zip and copy the three files it contains to your W7 Installation USB (if you have a 64-bit OS, copy them from Intel RAID Driver\x64 and if you have a 32-bit OS copy them from Intel RAID Driver\x86).

Ask a Question