No Drive found durring win 7 installation

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm installing windows 7 on my dell inspiron 1440 laptop but having a message "No Drive found for Installation" and there is options for Load Driver, Anyone can help? please give me full informations about getting drivers of sata drive for my Dell Inspiron 1440.

Waiting for good response sooon

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First of all you don't need drivers for SATA drives. They're automatically installed by the Windows 7 OS.

How are you doing the install? Are you booting from your DVD drive to do a clean install?

Is the Windows 7 install showing up at all?

Reaction score
I'm going to do a fresh install from a retail dvd but my Stat 320 Gb drive is not listed, where should i have to get the drivers??? Can you please help me now i'm using Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop? Any way to install windows ???? Plz plz share

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You say you're Stat 320GB drive is not listed. Are talking about from the BIOS?

You can't install Windows 7 from the Linux desktop!

You have to set the BIOS so the DVD drive is the first boot device. Put in the Windows 7 DVD install disc and reboot.

A line will show in the POST menu: "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD drive" it will give you about a 5 second time frame to press any key. Do that and the install should start up.

Reaction score
It is listed in the BIOS but not shown to windows 7 installation setup??? Also tell me how I can istall windows 7 from Ubuntu 9.10??? Where can i find my SATA drivers and model no to find drivers

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You can't install Windows 7 from Ubuntu.

That's why I gave you the boot from DVD info. Have you tried it?

Reaction score
No drive available - Windows 7 installation

OK, here's a good one. I bought an SSD to install into my new ASUS G73JH to accompany the 500GB OEM drive. I tried copying the system image from the OEM drive to the SSD and then using system restore to finish the process I got a BSOD (classpnp.sys) and went into auto reboot.***

Here's where it gets interesting. No drives detected during reboot. None! Not even the OEM. I bust out my trusty windows 7 disk and no drives available. I can see both drives in BIOS, I've even upated BIOS. I used a USB adapter to make sure the drives were still ok and they're totally fine, I can format, read and write when using the usb interface. So, I can't see either drive in any windows environment except for diskpart. Drives won't install in AHCI or IDE modes. I attempted to do a startup repair and suddenly my OEM drive is wiped out. Still works, no data. Lame. I've formatted and partitioned both drives using the USB adapter on other systems but windows still won't let me "see" the SSD. I don't want to install on the OEM drive because I'd like to recover my data.

I've been on the phone with geeksquad (useless) and ASUS. Most recently with windows - they seem totally bewildered. If anyone has any ideas please send them my way! Thanks!

Andy

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
First of all, you can't copy or clone your existing hard drive onto an SSD. You have to do a clean install.

Remove the primary hard drive and put the SSD in that slot on your laptop. Don't put the hard back in until the Windows 7 install is done.

Reboot the laptop and make sure the drive is seen by the BIOS. Make sure the setting for the SSD is AHCI in the BIOS.

Set the DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS and save that setting. Put in the install DVD and reboot and the install should take off from there.

Reaction score
Thanks, I actually didn't know until all this happened that I could not do the image copy. Problem is, windows will not detect my drive for installation. I can see it and access it in diskpart and in a command line environment, but not in any windows environment. BIOS is set to AHCI mode and DVD is the first boot device. No drives found. I have no problem initiating the installation, windows files load into the memory properly but when I'm prompted to select the drive/partition:

No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation.

Lame!

Again, I can access the drive and see it's characteristics in the diskpart utility but I'm not too familiar with it so I'm not sure how it can help me if at all. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I'm having this same problem installing Windows 7. After getting the "No drives were found" error and even thought it was a hard drive problem and went and bought a new drive. Same error message...Can anyone help? Thanks

Reaction score
Please which type of partition you are using andy is it an linux based partition then windows will not detect it.

Reaction score
I'm was doing a standard Windows installation, no bells and whistles. BIOS had nothing to do with it. Turned out to be a bad SSD. I couldn't get to the point where formatting was even an option. I even force formatted from diskpart but Windows would not load a driver for it.
I replaced the SSD with a new one, works fine now.

Reaction score
I have Dell inspiron N5010. I am having the same message that "No drives found......"
I have Heard that by using Gparted we can fix this ..... I am gona try that ...if anyone found the solution .....plz tell me

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Wow, that's a disturbing number of posts...

Has anyone tried installing (or connecting) the drive in question into a different PC, then doing a fresh reformatting there? After installing the drive, go to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. Click Disk Management in the window. All installed drives will show up and can be properly formatted from this location... make sure to format as NTFS if installing Windows 7. Make sure it completes the task and the drive is found under My Computer before ya disconnect it. :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It is quite an old thread, and it looks like the (original) op did sort out the problem.- Or, at least, he gave no feedback!
It does, however, seem to have been resurrected by ya last poster.

Reaction score
I tried to give it the Hrd disk drivers by clicking on the load drivers button ......but then the message changes and says that " use signed 32 or 64 drivers . unsigned drivers wont function properly " ......... now what are these signed drivers and where can i find them >?

Reaction score
Wow, that's a disturbing number of posts...

Has anyone tried installing (or connecting) the drive in question into a different PC, then doing a fresh reformatting there? After installing the drive, go to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. Click Disk Management in the window. All installed drives will show up and can be properly formatted from this location... make sure to format as NTFS if installing Windows 7. Make sure it completes the task and the drive is found under My Computer before ya disconnect it. :)

I installed in another computer and it was not even seen in the disk management. It was a dead drive, the issue had nothing to do with Windows. I actually tried it in several different computers, laptops and desktops. I tried USB bridge adapters and could see the drive as mass storage but it would not write any data. In diskpart I could focus on the disk/volume and even create partitions but as soon as I left diskpart and tried to install, nothing. Same message. I got a new drive and everything happened correctly.

Ask a Question