No delete menu selection on a USB file

Reaction score
I've lost my ability to delete a file on my USB drive. I can still delete files using the popup explorer menu on my c: drive but no Delete selection on a file if its on my USB drive!

What could have happened?

Thanks...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've never heard of this on a flash drive but maybe if you have it formatted NTFS, my best guess would be, the computer doesn't think your are userid created the drive and so security doesn't recognize you as being authorized to delete.

Is your userid an Admin? If so, the easiest way to see if this is the problem is to install the Take Ownership script and then run it on the flash drive folder(s).

Reaction score
I just discovered my whole USB is write protected...that's why I can't delete any files. I also can't save any files. I'll have to look up how to remove this and I have no idea how it got write protected.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is extremely rare but there are a few brands of Flash Drives that actually have a physical write protection switch on the end or side.

If it is not that then what is the make/model of flash drive?

Reaction score
Thank you...I did go thru that and nothing worked so I guess I will have to reformat it...!!!

Thanks again for the help...

Ask a Question