SOLVED New Router

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I just got a wireless router (my first). Linksys WRT54GL.

My wife and I don't have any wireless devices, except the new printer I think has wireless capabilities. I'll worry about that later. It's set up now with 3 wired computers and works great, maybe even a little zippier than my old router. Maybe not.

We are expecting a lot of visitors over the summer who will be bringing laptops and Iphone's and Itouch's and the like. Most of the time I plan to have the Wirless feature turned off. When it's on, I want to have it set to the optimal settings for convenience and security This is where my knowledge falls short.

The only thing I have done so far is change the default password to a better one. I've downloaded the manual pdf but a lot of it is Greek to me.

Any suggestions for this nOOb? :)

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Yodap, I used to have the exact same router. It was easy enough to set up the wireless. Then I got a newer model (E1000) and my wife, who is a nOOb was able to set it up in 15 minutes.

Good luck.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Yodap, I used to have the exact same router. It was easy enough to set up the wireless. Then I got a newer model (E1000) and my wife, who is a nOOb was able to set it up in 15 minutes.

Good luck.
Great!
Send her over. :lol:

Thanks Nibs I'm checking it out.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
All works well. I have networking set up to my liking.

My brother came with his lappy running XP. IE gets this "stack overflow" error message and becomes unusable.

1 Does it have anything to do with my router? (He hasn't seen it before).
2 How can we fix it?

TIA

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Only solution I could find suggests it can be solved by disabling IE's script debugging.

eddie5659 says "Control Panel - Internet Options - Advanced tab.
Under Browsing, tick Disable Script Debugging
Underneath, untick Display a Notification
[select] apply and OK."

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Thanks TM

That didn't work and he is on his way home now. He also had safari on there and could use that in a trouble free way. I suggested FF to him and we'll see if he installs it.

I'm happy with the router set up, so thanks to all that had suggestions. I'll mark it solved

Ask a Question