SOLVED need help with VirtualBox USB service

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Since using VirtualBox, for the most part I've been happy. But I have one issue, I can't get the USB devices to attach to the machine, in both Windows & Linux (the hosts), so it's not a particular host that's causing the issue.

I've enabled the USB controllers, installed the guest additions, created filters for devices plugged in, yet the devices shows up, but are shaded. I've even went into the guest OS and enabled plug-n-play devices. I have no problem attaching CD/DVD's to run.

When I use Windows Virtual PC, I don't have this problem, however it will only install on Windows 7, and it's guest additions only work on certain OS's (XP, Vista).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
yodap, after some further researching, I found the answer. It wasn't quite as simple as adding that extension pack, I've already tried that. However your answer led me to a forum post in regard to this. Actually, you don't need the extension package installed, just guest additions in order to share folders.

What you have to do, in the host & guest, is create a shared folder, then the USB devices will work (with the exception of webcams). It was tricky to me, as I've never done that before. However this only works with Linux as the host, according to the poster. I finally have my flash drive working this way. Now, I'm going to attempt to install my printer in the same fashion.

Now, I'm (hopefully) finally going to get somewhere in virtualization, I've been trying for nearly a year to accomplish this, with little success (using VirtualBox). In order to use VM's as an extension of your computer, you need to have your system devices working, otherwise all you have is a web browser that takes a lot of work to create. The only other thing it would do is fold.

Cat

Ask a Question