SOLVED Need a recommendation on a hardware/software based monitor calibration device

Reaction score
I could use some recommendations on a hardware/software based monitor calibration kit. Windows 7's displacalibration isn't quite giving me the display appearance I want on my Viewsonic VX2250wn-LED montor.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
There's a website called "Lagom" which offers monitor test images for calibration of the monitor.

From the website:
Welcome to the Lagom LCD monitor test pages. With the test images on these pages, you can easily adjust the settings of your monitor to get the best possible picture quality. Additionally, there are a number of test images that can help you to judge the image quality of a monitor. You can check the images on this webpage or put them on a usb stick and try them in the computer store like I did when I created these test patterns. These test images are much more revealing regarding monitor shortcomings than ordinary photographs.

Go to: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

I have used this in the past, and I find it works quite well.

Reaction score
Thanks Nibs. See I can't use a sight like that, because of my eyesight. From my diabetes I'm legally blind. My vision without my glasses on is worse than 20/400 (which is legally blind. My right eye, I can't see anything straight ahead, so there isn't a way to see an eye chart with it. I've also got scar tissue on both eyes from laser treatment's for diabetic retinapothy, so I basically see black cobweb like out of the left eye. That's a known side effect of the laser treatments. Had I not had it, though, my left retina would've detached. That was back in 99 and had it detached, I'd be blind.
The eye's are so bad that I can't have a driver's license.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
So what you're stating then is that you couldn't even use the download edition of the test pages?

Excuse me for my bluntness here. What good would a calibration do you then?

In order to use a calibration, you have to use images to verify that the calibration done is correct.

Reaction score
I don't think a few of the one's I've come across need the pictures. They have a usb device that you either tilt the monitor and hold it on or you tilt whe monitor back & let it set on the monitor, while it's software does the calibrating.. I've come across a few varios one's from X-Brite http://www.xbrite.com and Datacolor http://spyder.datacolor.com/index_us.php . I'm just trying to figure out which of the available one's are better for a regular home user, like myself.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
When calibrating a monitor (or big screen TV) you really need something to compare the results to - like a professionally produced printout. Or you need specific calibration test equipment that you position precisely in front of the screen. The problem is, and I have seen it over and over again with big screen TVs, once perfectly calibrated, the users don't like it. It is not "warm" enough, or too bright, or not bright enough, or the flesh tones are not pink or orange enough.

I mean, how do you know what shade of green the football field is supposed to be if you cannot compare it to the exact shade of green it is?

Then with computer monitors, people get them to display photos and videos just right, and then they don't like how text is displayed.

Another problem is many monitors will not let you fully adjust - especially when using a digital input with DVI or HDMI.

Finally, the color displayed is also based on the color the computer's graphics solution is telling it. So there are many many variables at play here.

I use Video Essentials to calibrate Home Theater systems, but generally for computer monitors, I recommend letting the monitor auto-adjust, then just start tweaking until you like it, or for the best compromise.

Reaction score
That's what I was looking for. The one's I put the link to come with the usb device that set's on the screen and it and the software that come's with it do the calibration. Some of them also do tv's and printer's or have upgrades for those capabilities.. That's the advice I'm looking for. Which is better for the price and job it does.For instance DataColor Spyder3 Express, Spyder3 Professional, Spyder Professional and tX-Rite has i1 Display LT, i1Display 2 and CMUNDIS ColorMunki. Here's a link @ Amazon for all the on's available : http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...field-keywords=x-rite&sprefix=x-Rite,aps,1462 The only one Newegg currently has is the X-Ritei1 Display LT, also known as Eye-One at some places online.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Some of them also do tv's and printer's or have upgrades for those capabilities
And that is important for professional photographers to ensure what they see on screen is what they see when printed on their expensive paper.

As for which is better, I would type in the product brand and model number, and the word review into your search engine and read what is being said. Look for professional review sites. Do NOT pay a whole lot of attention to "user reviews" at sites like Newegg because happy people don't complain so a lot of bad reviews may not really reflect the general consensus. I read the user reviews, but I really only put stock in them if there are many that complain about the exact same thing. Also, normal users don't have the technical skills or equipment to do a proper review, not even a competing product to do a side-by-side review.

Reaction score
I di that before I posted the thread here. The only thing that came up in Google or Bing were reviews by online store's that sell them. Newegg obly had reviews on the one that it stocks. Amazon reviews seemed to only have 1 person that seemed like he new what he was talking about, as his review was in good detail and he recommended the X-Rite i1 Display LT over theDataColor Spyder3 Express. I think that's what I'm going to be ordering Friday from Newegg. He also even went into detail on how he used the online calibration site's before and thought they were good, until he got the X-Rite i1 Display LT. He stated he got better colore as the device and software got things looking better than he did manually using the various online sites, photo's, etc.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hmmm, well, when you get it all figured out, let us know which is best!!! ;)

Reaction score
I don't know if my reviewing it will matter much. The company already has a newer model out. Newegg only had 8-9 of them left and they're the only place that had it. The colorimeter is the same exact one that the newer model uses, apparently. If need be down the road, I can just get the newer software.That's basically all the upgraded version has is newer software.The newer model was like $170-180 compared to $110-120. for the one I got. Being on disability, I opted for the somewhat more affordable. I did find out that the other companies models like the Huey or Spyder3 (lower end models), can't do luminense or whatever it's called.The only apparent drawback to the model I got is that it can't handle sRGB, but it can handle from 6500k down. My monitor appears too dark, compared to the other ranges in sRGB. Therefore to me, it's not exactly an issue. The only real issue I currently have, that is extremely annoying is the fact that no matter how good things look on the desktop. In Media Center shows/commercials that I know are in color, alot of times will either be low in color or in black & white altogether. It doesn't matter what settings I or other's manually set. It always ends up with the same results.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am not talking about a full fledged technical review, but certainly you can report how easy any software and hardware installation goes, and if the product performed as you expected.

Reaction score
That part I understand. The point I was making though, is that a newer model is out. Only 1 place has the older version that I purchased. Therefore a review wouldn't matter as much as, apparently there are less than 10 of the model I purchased left. Those could already be gone. I doubt it, but it's possible I have no problem letting everyone know what I personally think about it.

Reaction score
Received the X-Rite i1 Display LT today. My ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED monitor is now calibrated. I fully recommend this device. My color's look alot better than what I could get with the monitor's setting's or Windows 7's Display Calibration utilty. First you select whether you have a LCD monitor, CRT monitor or notebook pc. For LCD's and notebooks, it has little weight that you hook to the usb cable, so the device stay's flush against your screenThe device first measures the ambient light in the room. It then tells you to set the contrast to 100% and then adjusts it correctly. It then adjusts the RGB (Red, Green & Blue) color's and create's and loads a profile in the Windows/System 32 folder that automatically loads every time you use your pc. It also, set's a reminder to recalibrate on a weekly basis. This keep's your monitor looking good all the time. Can't wait until I move, so I can temporarily hook my hdtv to a hdmi port on my video card, so I can let it calibrate it. HUGE IMPROVEMENT in colorization/picture quality. If you purchase one, make sure not to use the out dated software/driver on the cd and download them from X-Rite's website. http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?Action=support&ID=789

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Great! I am glad it met or exceeded your expectations and thanks for the followup.

Reaction score
I can't believe the improvement it made. For example, I never saw off-whie/gray around the various boxes on the forum before. It was all plain white. Can't wait to see how my games look now.

Ask a Question