my laptop is compaq presario cq40

Reaction score
hey everybody , i wanna ask can my laptop presario cq40 supports windows 7 , and please explain how can i ?

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It depends on what kind of RAM you have, and a few other computer credentials. Can't say just by the brand of a laptop really. I've never heard of that laptop before, what are it's specifications?

In some cases you'd be able to run Win7, but not very effectively, so there's that kind of range as well. If you're computer meets the minimum.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
That laptop has 2 gig of ram stock. I am unable to find out if it supports more yet. The on-board graphics may not support full aero features in w7.

I do believe you could run the 32bit version of home premium. Drivers would need to be updated.

Reaction score
its a compaq laptop . it has 2gb ram , amd turion x2 , ati radeon graphic card .

Reaction score
i'm a noob in these pc things , err how can i update my driver ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vika - I deleted the new thread you started with the exact same question as above. There is no need to start a
new thread with the same question.

I am also moving this to "Installation, Setup and Updates" since that is a more relevant thread for the topic we're discussing here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
After looking at the User Manual for your Laptop, it states it will support up to 8 GB of total RAM in two SODIMM slots. So that's up to two 4 GB sticks.

Here's a screen capture of the page in the manual I'm referring to:

You'll be able to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and you can run 4GB of RAM and you'll be rocking. Just be sure that they're a "matched set" so that there is no issues between different manufacturers, etc.

I highly recommend using Mushkin RAM, stable and rock solid. Plus it's an American company based in Denver, CO. I have never had a bad stick from Mushkin.

Here's a matched set from Newegg for $49.99 with free shipping!

Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model 996577

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Without at least 4GB RAM, 64 bit Win7 is useless in my opinion, you'll never get the desired functionality with it without that minimum, from what i've seen.

If he does happen to have only 2GB, then I would agree with yodap.

Even then 2GB is Microsoft's minimum requirement based on their Windows Upgrade Advisor tool I believe.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Ace - I have seen Windows 7 run very well on 4 GB of RAM. There is NO reason for him to install a 32-bit OS on a laptop with hardware that 64-bit capable. Let him spend some money and get 4 GB of good matched RAM and then he'll be fine.

Running a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit hardware machine is similar to putting a single-barrel carb on a V-8 engine. He won't be able to really use the doubled bandwidth and speed of the 64-bit OS.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ace - I have seen Windows 7 run very well on 4 GB of RAM. There is NO reason for him to install a 32-bit OS on a laptop with hardware that 64-bit capable. Let him spend some money and get 4 GB of good matched RAM and then he'll be fine.
I meant 4GB Minimum, I didn't say it was necessarily bad, but 2GB is below the recommended amount from my point of view. That would be the bare minimum at the least for a 32 bit machine.

Read my post again:
"Without at least 4GB RAM, 64 bit Win7 is useless in my opinion, you'll never get the desired functionality with it without that minimum, from what i've seen"

4GB isn't bad, but I wouldn't recommend anything lesser

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
All Radeon cards from the last 3 years or so will be usable with Windows 7, the question is what card series do you have? It will probably handle the Windows Aero interface, the main issue is would it handle the last version of DirectX, which is DirectX 11.

What series card is it?

Remember when you're asking questions about your system to give as much information as possible. Some of us are pretty good here, but we cannot read minds. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question