SOLVED mscorwks.dll error during installation

Reaction score
The title says it all.

I'm making a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit on my laptop. During the last phase, "Completing Installation", I get the following error:

Title: clrgc.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error
Description: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded.
Options: OK

I hit OK and the system works for about a minute before repeating the error. There are no options to start over, etc. I'm leery of rebooting the laptop and simply returning to the same problem - or something worse. Any other suggestions?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would try the Microsoft repair tool for NET and see if that can help. If you can't keep the computer running long enough in normal mode then you may need to run it in safe mode.

Reaction score
I apologize. I wasn't clear enough. The error occurred while I was installing Windows. Not any other programs, because I haven't gotten to the desktop yet. The error occurs during the Windows Installation.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Where did you get the installation disk? Is it W7 or W7 SP1? Is it Microsoft's or modified OEM like Dell or HP? Make/Model of your computer?

Reaction score
Computer: Gateway model MD2614u.

I said I was leery of rebooting the computer, but I did anyway. For whatever reason, the windows install finished without any problems. <shrugs> I worked on another computer yestereday where a reboot took care of the problem too, so it was apparently a day for reboots.

I appreciate the assist.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think I would still run the NET fix-it tool I linked above, but yeah I have seen the Installation seem to hang and still everything was fine once I rebooted so hopefully you are all set.

I have marked this solved.

Ask a Question