Monitor won't turn on

Reaction score
I have more trouble with these damnable contraptions! On my laptop at the moment.When I restart the desktop, the monitor would go white. I'd turn it off and turn it back on to get a screen. Now the pissant thing won't turn on. Time for a new monitor?

Just what I need, is more techno crap to buy.

Shintaro

Reaction score
What kind of monitor is it? Brand & Model
Is it under warranty?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Is it under warranty?

And when you turn off your computer, do you turn the power off at the switch at the wall socket??
Thus turning off the power completely to the computer and monitor.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It sounds like the inverter is going bad. It can be fixed but it is probably more cost effective to just get a new monitor - unless it is still under warranty.

In any case, whenever you have possible monitor problems, it is always essential to first determine if the monitor is the problem, or if the graphics solution (graphics card or integrated graphics) is the problem. And this is most easily and quickly done by swapping monitors with another computer. If the problem follows monitor 1 to computer 2, you know the problem is with the monitor. If the problem stays with computer 1 with monitor 2, you know the problem is in the computer.

If you don't have a second computer/monitor or can't borrow one, check your newest TV - many support computer graphics inputs.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mr.Magoo,

Digerati is right on the money.

I switch my monitor off at the power socket on the wall because:
- Even in stand-by mode they still draw power and heat. Will increase your electricity bill, only a small amount, but over time...
- Can preserve the life of the monitor. (Info from Sony Tech) Because left on, over time, it slowly cooks the boards. You see this when monitor is opened and the PCB is brown.
- Can cause fires. NSW Fire Brigade here in Australia.

Reaction score
Well, I'll try that tomorrow. I've already scoped out newegg, so Friday is order day. Damned technology is taking my life.

Reaction score
Try to stay away from the Westinghouse monitors...I see them go bad more often than most of the other brands that come into my shop. If you are going to newegg they have a nice Asus 24" LCD on sale for $199 with free ship (7x Winner Customer Choice Award ) item N82E16824236049 if your looking to save some $ they have an Acer 18.5" for $79 free ship ( item N82E16824009350 )

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I switch my monitor off at the power socket on the wall because:
Understand switched wall outlets are not used in the US and many other countries - especially those that use 110VAC.

I agree with NyRaised - Westinghouse monitors do not have a good reputation.

Reaction score
Well, I tried today and it's still not working ('course I don't work very well, either), so it's off to newegg tomorrow!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
FTR, I prefer Samsung and ViewSonic monitors.

Reaction score
I'm getting a 17" decommissioned from a med center shipped to me gratis on Monday. Gaming is hard for me any more, but I love gamers. They're good people.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
17 inches is pretty small - unless you are used to small notebook screens. While the price is right, I suspect the med center is just happy to get rid of it so they don't have to worry about recycling hazardous waste - that will be your problem now.

Ask a Question