Monitor doesn't sleep as specified in computer power options

Reaction score
I have just bought a Toshiba 26C100U1 TV/Monitor, and have it connected to a HP desktop (tower), running Win7 (64-bit). Video card is ATI Radeon HD 4350. Monitor is connected via VGA. I tried HDMI, but the monitor then lost its PC settings and sound. So it's currently using the VGA connection.

BTW The Device Manager just calls the monitor a generic PnP monitor. And I found a list of so-called Windows-compatible monitors and the 26C100U1 wasn't listed...

The monitor works pretty well, but it won't go to sleep as specified by the power options (the monitor has its own sleep function, but that is just to switch off when you're asleep!). Any time I expect to be away from the computer for more than an hour or so, I have to manually put the computer to sleep and then switch off the monitor. This is a pain!

I have the desktop power options set to put the monitor to sleep after 10 mins, and the computer after 20 mins (same settings as with previous monitor). Nothing happens on the monitor after 10 mins - and after 20, the computer goes to sleep as specified, and then we just see the blue "no video signal" stripe cycling up and down the screen forever! I must stress that the monitor sleep function worked fine with the previous monitor that was attached to this computer, but when I simply changed to the new monitor, the monitor sleep function stopped working.

As far as I can tell, the BIOS and video card drivers are up to date. There is apparently a Toshiba firmware download available for the 26C100U1, but its description doesn't say anything about this problem - would installing it make a difference? Any other ideas? TIA

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, I see Toshiba offered you a lot of good advice! :(

I would try it on another computer and see what happens. And double check the TV's manual for menu options.

As far as the firmware update, from what I read, it has to do with HDMI support with game stations. You had problems with HDMI so you might consider the upgrade. I note by using VGA, you are going analog and are not seeing the quality that monitor can provide with digital.

Reaction score
Thanks, Bill! I actually did try updating the firmware on the Toshiba monitor, and it didn't make any difference. I have also checked every option on the monitor's menu, and thought I had found one option that looked relevant, but it didn't fix my problem.

Based on the fact that there has been this deafening silence, I have the feeling that I am missing something fundamental... This problem has never happened to me with any previous computer/monitor combination. I found a list of monitors that Windows knows about, and the 26c100u1 wasn't there - is there some way of updating some Win7 table? I am also wondering if the monitor is ACPI-compliant (if that's the right term) - but that seems to be more of a BIOS thing. Sorry, I know very little about the BIOS and drivers... :) TIA

PS Found this thread - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251134-33-monitor-shut - so the problem seems to be not so uncommon. There are some things worth trying here... (I am using VGA, though).

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The product manual for your TV/Monitor states that it will ONLY Auto-Shutdown when tuned to a station that is not broadcasting or ceases broadcasting for the day. It states this ONLY applies in the ANT/CABLE setting or function.

There is no sleep function listed or discussed in the manual. It's pretty safe to assume that if it's not mentioned in the user manual, then the function doesn't exist. :confused:

It looks like your out of luck on this one. You'll just have to do the extra step of turning off the TV manually.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have a Vizio TV/monitor here in my office and I know it shuts down in PC mode when the attached computer goes to sleep. What I find frustrating is while I can wake the computer by wiggling the mouse, I have to hit the power button on the monitor, even though it is still in PC mode.

I also have a Toshiba TV/Monitor, different model, in the grandkids' room and it seems to work the same as the Vizio. But there is a menu setting in both for "Auto Shutoff". If you have DVI, you might try that. It contains the exact same superior digital video as HDMI, just no audio.

Reaction score
Strangely enough, I changed some of the REGZA-LINK settings, and the monitor now seems to be getting some kind of signal at monitor sleep time - but it now puts up a password prompt (sort of sleeping without switching off the monitor) - and I'm not sure which of the settings made the difference... :)

Reaction score
I am really confused now! I am trying the High-Performance power option in Win7, with monitor sleep set to 15 mins, and computer sleep set to "never". At 15 mins or thereabouts, the monitor switched to showing the login screen, and at some point after that (don't know exactly when), the computer went to sleep, resulting in the blue "no video signal" message on my screen.

Can Bill, or anyone, shed some light on what variously: my computer is doing, Win7 is doing, and/or my monitor is doing?! Help would be much appreciated!

PS Is there any command or utility that I can use to send a sleep signal to my monitor?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Afraid I don't have an answer but maybe a suggestion. Since Toshiba seems unwilling to help, perhaps you should consider returning the item and taking your business elsewhere. Frankly if I bought an HDMI monitor and the HDMI connection doesn't work then I'd consider it junk and return it. Also if it is only seen as Generic then it is either the plug-and-play identification isn't right in the monitor or they should be supplying you with specific drivers.

How can a monitor require a password? It sounds like maybe it is the parental controls or something for the TV side but that seems odd for PC use.

You might want to check the power settings from an administrator command prompt to see if sleep is allowed, limitations, etc (it may give you more info you could post back here) ...
- click the start orb and in the search line type "command"
- "command prompt" should be your first choice, select it
- In the box type "powercfg -a" (do not include the quotes)

I don't know of a command to instantly force sleep.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You can instantly put your computer asleep through the Start menu, but that starts the chain of events where the monitor loses signal, then puts itself to sleep. There is no command you can send directly to the monitor.

Note the High Performance power option does not in any way affect the performance of the computer. It just means the computer stays awake, ready to spring into action.

I have mine set to 15 minutes of the display and 20 to put the computer to sleep. Then in advanced options, I have allow hybrid sleep enabled.

Reaction score
Hi Bill, thanks for the info! Sorry if I misled you a bit - I have sleep set to request password on startup. So I suspect that is why that screen comes up :) I have hybrid sleep set off, as that was causing problems coming out of it on my machine (with the old monitor).

What is strange is that in power options, I have both sleep options set to never, but after about 5 mins of inactivity (or maybe less), it just pops over to the login menu - I haven't measured the time exactly - I assume it thinks it is coming out of sleep...

BTW powercfg -a says that S2 is not supported, but that's all it says... Any other useful options under powercfg?

I am connected using VGA, just like the last monitor (which worked perfectly) - based on your comment, should I try HDMI (I'll need to buy a $50 cable) - some people report better results with that - but others have recommended staying with VGA - what is your take on that?

I really appreciate your staying with this problem - there seem to be so many variables that I may have totally misstated my problem :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The powercfg ... I was just curious if it said anything was disabled but as long as S1/S3 are OK then it's not that.

HDMI cables are available on eBay for as cheap as $5; I wouldn't pay $50 to try it. HDMI signals are digital and include up to 8 audio tracks, VGA is analog with no audio. I don't know it would have any affect on "sleep" but I had hoped it might no longer show as a "generic" monitor and THAT might help.
http://www.videojug.com/expertanswe...at-is-the-difference-between-dvi-vga-and-hdmi

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I may be staying with it, but it's all guessing from here. Windows has ALWAYS had sleep problems for many people - however, not sure it fair to blame just Windows when so many other major components out of Microsoft control are involved. Windows (or our hard drives) cannot hold all the code for the millions of computer add-ons out there - so they all agreed on a set of "plug n play" codes that Microsoft would be responsible for, and they would adhere too. Windows includes it, the millions of hardware devices must support it.

Since 100s of millions of users have no complaints, it is hard to fault the code in Windows - instead it would point to hardware drivers, or the hardware firmware instead.

That said, Windows 7 seems to be much better than XP in my experience in getting all the parties to cooperate. I am sure those not so lucky feel differently. All I can say is fiddle with the settings. I guess I should add most of my experience with Windows 7 is with 64-bit Windows 7. Not sure that would matter, but I note 64-bit drivers are different drivers than 32-bit.

I pretty much never shutdown or reboot, unless some update requires it. Sometimes after a reboot, the next time my system goes idle (I walk away) my monitors will go to sleep, but the computer remains wide awake. The first thing I will try is to change the sleep settings 5 minutes, hit apply, then change them back and apply or OK out. If that does not work, I do a reboot, and that fixes it. My system will sleep and wake up as expected several times a day, for many days or several weeks - until something actually requires a reboot.

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for all your suggestions! I have switched to an HDMI cable, and I get the same effect - and the Device Mgr still says Generic PnP Monitor - so that didn't make a difference!

However, it seems I may have misstated the problem: paying close attention to timings, it seems the monitor does get the "sleep" command, but instead of going blank, it displays the "No video signal" message sliding around on the screen ... forever. :)

I talked to the Toshiba Canada support person, who claimed that, because the TV has a sleep facility (i.e. when you want to watch TV in bed), they can't do what I want - and anyway it's the store's fault for not telling me before I bought the monitor (as if they would know!). I informed her that this is probably the first monitor in history that does not have this capability (if she's right!). She did promise to report this problem to their programmers... Anyone know of any other Win7 controls that might be relevant?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I still find it odd that it shows up generic - did you ask her if they have drivers for that monitor?

Also, perhaps you can set the sleep facility to 1 minute of no signal or something like that? However then it won't likely wake up when you return; you'd have to turn it back on.

Of course what you can do to show your dissatisfaction is return it.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I still find it odd that it shows up generic
I don't know that that is a problem. If a monitor is Plug and Play. It should work. All a monitor driver does is tell Windows the monitor name, and the resolutions it does NOT support. The rest is all up to the graphics card, and the firmware in the monitor used for handshaking to establish the resolution used.

Reaction score
I had hoped that you could set their sleep facility to the sleep facility to 1 minute of no signal - but no such luck! It's unconditional.

Also the Control Panel/Display knows it's a Toshiba TV...

When the TV gets the sleep signal, it goes to the logon screen, even though I have set the Advanced Power option to NOT require a password on wakeup!

a) what is controlling that?
b) it is as if something is kicking it out of sleep as soon as it goes in - could that be some other control, e.g. USB Root hub settings?

TIA

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hmmm, I decided to check another system and under advanced, Hybrid is unchecked. Checking it caused my system to not wake up!

Reaction score
Thanks - I had heard that was a problem with Win7, so mine is unchecked as well - and has been since I got this computer... Still, it was a good idea ;-)

Reaction score
Toshiba 26C100U1

Hi!,
Have had similar problems and have overcome them by installing the correct driver for that particular hardware..I checked and see there is a driver for your monitor available on the internett.. next you need to muck around to get windows to accept the different driver via device manager..If Win keeps comming up that you have a suitable driver installed etc....try clicking on the driver file and see if that will install the driver.. usually if not direct to the device manager it will accept the file... you might then have to uninstall your monitor from device manager and reboot your PC usually then win7 will find the correct driver that you have installed ...
Hope this helps,
Luck,
ronpeck

Reaction score
Thanks, Ron, that sounds promising! However, sorry to be a bit dense, but where did you find the driver, and is it actually a driver? I downloaded what Toshiba calls firmware, and installed it on my TV/monitor (which apparently went OK), and it didn't solve my problem. Based on your suggestion, I googled 26C100U1 driver and found a reference to a 26C10U1 driver in opendrivers, but hitting download doesn't seem to do anything... It makes sense that there should be a driver, but I can't seem to find it! TIA
PS Is it possible that one of the firmware files is in fact a driver...? Probably silly question...

Ask a Question