Minimize, maximize and close buttons not working - HELP!!!

Reaction score
Hi - Im new to the forum, creating an account mainly for this problem, but am keen to help others.
Anyway, with the problem im having; whenever i press the minimize, maximize or close buttons in a Windows window they do not react. This is the same case for resizing a window. It only occurs in a windows based window - such as my computer, windows explorer and internet explorer. However it is ok for programs such as Itunes, and Norton 360. I dont know if it is related but whenever i get a confirmation window, the words for YES and NO dont appear; for example saving a document, or image, the YES or NO does not appear
I have searched the internet but no really successful results occured. Im trying to move away from doing a repair install.
If anyone has any advice i would seriously appreciate it. If you are experiencing similar problems please comment too, just to make sure im not the only one.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think a repair install will be the only sure fire way to sort it, as this is such a strange problem. Have you tried rolling back your PC to when it worked using system restore?

Reaction score
I want to avoid a repair install because i have to reinstall the updates again, i have tried the system restore once, but i will set it to an earlier date and see if anything changes.

Reaction score
There is no repair installation in Win 7!
Believe me, I've tried and had to do a clean install in the end. Good thing is that the clean install recognises an earlier install and whacks it into a folder called Windows.old!

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Alright. If this problem is what I think it is, this is an easy fix. First, try double clicking on those buttons. If it works, you're in luck. If that doesn't, then you might not be, but still try this:
1. Install ANY updates, including the optional ones. You can do this by going to Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update>Then, you should see (if there are any) "1 optional update ready for install" or something like that. Click that, select the updates, and download and install them.
2. Verify your device drivers are fully updated. Lets update the mouse driver. You can do this by going to Start>Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Mouse>Hardware>Properties>Change Settings (it has a little shield next to it)>Driver>Update Driver>Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
You can do this for any device. Just follow the "Properties>Change Settings (it has a little shield next to it)>Driver>Update Driver>Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software" part while you're at your device management. Hope this helped! If you need anything more, just post and I guarantee someone will help you.

Reaction score
right - I tried to system restore, but doesnt go any further than the day after the problem occured - tried it anyway, no luck. i followed BetaMan's steps and hit into a problem, my update is not working, last time run was 30/1/2009. My updates are turned on but whenever i try retry it comes up with an error and big X icon. the error code is code 80070002. (this is all i need)!!!

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Alright. I googled your error code and I didn't find anything for windows 7 but I did find something for vista, which is the closest thing. Here's a quote of the steps and then the link to the article. There's might be some trouble with the repair install, but play around with this stuff.
The first step is to turn off all Windows Vista features. So, click on Start and go to Control Panel.
Click on Programs.
Click Turn Windows Vista features on and off.
In the Windows Features dialog box, uncheck all of the check boxes and click OK.
Once executed the above steps, you have to try to perform a Windows Vista upgrade, also known as Repair Install. This procedure won’t delete any files or software. It will simply repair the system by reinstalling system files. So don’t worry. Your most important data won’t be erased. The first step is to turn off and turn on your computer again.
Before turning off your PC, insert the Windows Vista installation DVD in the computer’s DVD drive. Now turn your computer on.
Windows will now launch the “Install Windows” procedure, automatically.
The procedure should you put before a question like this: “Which type of installation do you want?”
Click Upgrade. Make sure to select your current Windows Vista edition.
At this point try to install Windows Vista Sp1 again.
Link: http://www.webtlk.com/2008/04/28/windows-vista-sp1-error-code-0×80070002/

Reaction score
As I've already said "THERE IS NO REPAIR INSTALLATION IN WINDOWS 7!" :sigh:

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry I didn't realize that it said to do a repair. I just saw the steps and thought "Hey look! Steps!"
EDIT: You can create a system repair disk then boot from it. That might help, but I'm trying to help, so bear with me here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi - Im new to the forum, creating an account mainly for this problem, but am keen to help others.
Anyway, with the problem im having; whenever i press the minimize, maximize or close buttons in a Windows window they do not react. This is the same case for resizing a window. It only occurs in a windows based window - such as my computer, windows explorer and internet explorer.
Have you done or run anything to alter or modify your installation?
For example, run a proggie to get rid of the Windows 7 message at the bottom right of screen, or been fiddling around in the registry!

Reaction score
Hi - thanks to all the people helping with this annoying problem. It did install this application that removes a watermark from the desktop, removes send feedback fearure and removes the timernuke. It was made by orbit 30. would this F*** up my registry. If so would you know how to fix it.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
I don't know, I think you're stuck here with me- you must rely on others from now on, young padawan.

Reaction score
fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi - i posted this fault a while back and after many attempts on a fix i have found one!
If you recieve this fault with windows 7, or vista. click the vista orb/start and search "cmd", right click this and run it as administrator. Type in the cmd window - "sfc /scannow".
the main fault for my problem was because incorrectly did the 7000 plus patch orbit 30. It changed the incorrect registry settings.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi - i posted this fault a while back and after many attempts on a fix i have found one!
If you recieve this fault with windows 7, or vista. click the vista orb/start and search "cmd", right click this and run it as administrator. Type in the cmd window - "sfc /scannow".
the main fault for my problem was because incorrectly did the 7000 plus patch orbit 30. It changed the incorrect registry settings.
Thanks for the update, it's a great help to others with the same problem :)

Reaction score
hi everyone

i am a new member here,....im from the beautiful country,.....the Philippines,......i am thankful to all of the members who's willing to help every users of windows 7,........i have my problem and one of the members help works to fix my problem,........thanks to all,.....to all ideas,.....your such a good guys,.....sorry for my english grammar,.....cause im not good in english,.........but to all members who has a good heart thank you!!!!! please continue helping!!!!!:)with a smile kramnna!!!!!

Reaction score
Well thats is fantastic, its nice to see more members from around the globe.

Reaction score
Olg207, I had a Similar Problem

Similar but not identical. My problem with the Minimize, Close, and Restore buttons was happening only in Firefox. I found a workaround on google searching for "workaround for firefox minimize maximize close button blinking"

Last edited:
Reaction score
i was using xp mode in win 7. originally the blue screen came up, almost full screen. i could make it full screen if i wanted to. everything worked fine. i then downloaded a program while in xp mode, then i loaded some drivers for the same program. then when i had to restart the computer. when xp mode came back up it said could not set intergration, retry or continue. when i hit continue the window comes up, but i can not make full screen any more. any ideas?

Ask a Question