Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 v3

Reaction score
Howdy all. (Win 7 home premium OEM 64b on ASUS P7P55D PRO, i5 750 2.66Ghz, 4gb ddr, 500gbSATA)
I just bought a Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 v3 (keyboard and mouse kit)
which i downloaded & installed 64 bit drivers from Microsoft BUT the mouse keeps dropping out all the time randomly @ least once a min, keyboard is fine.
does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem???
thankyou

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you able to try this on another PC? It could be a hardware problem or something like a low battery. Trying it on another system will narrow the problem down :)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
FTR, I have the same mouse and keyboard on a Win7 64-bit system here; both board and mouse are working fine. If it does this on another system, then you know for certain there is something wrong with the mouse. If it works fine, I would uninstall, reboot, and reinstall the drivers again.

Reaction score
If you use a wireless internet connection try plugging the mouse receiver farther away from the wifi antenna. I have had interference issues between a usb wifi module and the 7000 model mouse's receiver.

Also try using it on a different usb port, maybe there isn't enough power to the one it's plugged to (some cases` front/top/side usb ports dont have as much power as the ones at the back). If it's connected to a hub, make sure it's a powered hub or else plug it directly to the computer...

Let us know if any of this helps.

Also, you don't need to worry about the drivers with win7. This mouse should work out of the box.

Oh and check the battery (or just try a regular non-rechargable one in there to see if it makes a difference).

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you use a wireless internet connection try plugging the mouse receiver farther away from the wifi antenna.
Good point. Actually, look around for other sources of interference - such as big speakers (big speakers have big magnets) televisions, wireless phones, microwave ovens, etc.

Reaction score
microwave ovens
?????
Really? :D

By the way, my MS laser mouse 7000 only experienced interference from the wifi when the wifi usb module was within 20cm of the mouse receiver. So even moving it to a front/side usb port on the case might help.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
A microwave oven, when cooking, emits all kinds of RF interference. The better and newer ovens are much better at isolating and containing these spurious signals. But if the oven is old, or been abused, it can "leak".

Reaction score
I know that, I just meant... normally a microwave oven isn't anywhere near a computer desk. It's a very bad idea to keep a computer in the kitchen to begin with, what with cooking and dishwashing and stuff like that going on in there. Nevermind the electromagnetic intereference from all the appliances in the kitchen...

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
normally a microwave oven isn't anywhere near a computer desk.
That's not a given. My neighbor has converted his dining room into his office. The microwave is just on the other side of the wall in the adjacent kitchen. His wireless printer would stop when the MW was on.

But beyond that, microwave ovens crank out some power - and remember, the mouse and keyboard are designed to work across the room from a home theater PC, so the receivers tend to be pretty sensitive. And I was talking about ovens that may not be totally up to snuff. Granted, it is not common, but then most folks don't have problems with their mice either.

As far as other applicances in the kitchen, I would be more concerned with them putting anomalies on the power lines than EMI. Microwave ovens, by definition, emit RF.

Ask a Question