Microsoft Security Essentials question

Reaction score
Do manufacturers first.

I basically just use DriverAgent for verification. I check ECS for motherboard related drivers. Hauppage for my tv tuner. AMD for video card drivers. I also read a post on the Win 7 Forums today about Quick Time 6.xx and 7.xx having new vulnerabilities today, so I removed it with RevoUninstaller Pro.
I also run Secunia PSI and MBSA 2.2 daily to make sure everything's updated.
Ouch, not so good for system uptime, huh?

https://www.w7forums.com/system-uptime-t7576.html

DriverAgent not such a good idea as it can disable the machine with one bad driver download. It happens all the time. Always visit manufacturers' websites for updates.

Reaction score
Checked Device Manager

I checked Device Manager under Power Management for the keyboard and mouse. The only option checked for both is to allow them to wake up the computer.
Your computer likely went into hibernation. Many computers including mine don't hibernate they go in to a dang coma. There is a power management setting in device manager you can tell it not to put the mouse to sleep, this may help. Keyboard spacebar is another possibility to wake it up. And increasing or disabling sleep options are another possibility if you can not get it to ever wake when this happens.

I honestly don't believe this has anything to do with the virus scanning issue. Can you check scan logs to see if that ran or tried to run? If your computer was hibernating it may not wake up to run scheduled events but I'm not sure as I disabled sleep/hibernation due to the "coma" issue.

Reaction score
No I don't

No, I don't have any backups at all. My old external hard drive and mfp printer both stopped working during the parts buying process for this pc. One of the two hard drive I bought for this pc doesn't work. It's being RMA'd to New Egg Saturday and may eventually be turned into an external backup drive.
brkkab123, do you have a recent backup of your computer that was taken while the computer was working fine? If so, now may be a good time to revert to it. You should have a rescue CD to boot from to begin the process.

If you were having no problems at the time of the backup, you should be good to go, assuming that you have no hardware problems that developed afterward.

Keep us posted.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I also read a post on the Win 7 Forums today about Quick Time 6.xx and 7.xx having new vulnerabilities today, so I removed it
I haven't used Quicktime in years. I use Quicktime Alternative. It provides the video functionality if a website needs it but without the excess code and calls home for updates.

Reaction score
Mmm!!!

I know Windows is set to Eastern Time for US/Canada. That's correct. How do I check that in MSE ? I looked under the Tabs and Settings in MSE and couldn't find anything about time settings. P.S. MSE was downloaded from Microsoft's Security website. I've got it in my favorites in IE 8, Firefox, Chrome and Opera.
It could be somehow related to a regional issue. The machine may be in one time zone and set for it while MSE is somehow going by a different time zone.

I dunno, it's just a guess.

Reaction score
Turned off Hibernation

Turned of Hibernation and restarted my computer. Here's a screenshot of the message APC PowerChute Home gives me.
I basically just use DriverAgent for verification. I check ECS for motherboard related drivers. Hauppage for my tv tuner. AMD for video card drivers. I also read a post on the Win 7 Forums today about Quick Time 6.xx and 7.xx having new vulnerabilities today, so I removed it with RevoUninstaller Pro.
I also run Secunia PSI and MBSA 2.2 daily to make sure everything's updated.

Attachments

Reaction score
Click the box to tell it not to show you that again. Then hit ok.

It won't show it to you again.

Reaction score
Okay will do.

Okay will do. Could you also take a look at my msinfo32 zip file for me that I attached to this reply ?

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
TorrentG, I know you don't use a UPS but not showing the message isn't an ideal solution. If the power goes out for an extended period, the APC tells the computer to hibernate to force proper shutdown without data loss - it can't do that without the hibernation enabled.

I don't have a good answer for you brkkab, you may have to decide which happens more often and which you can live without :(

I would definitely check all your settings for power management in device manager and see if you can't somehow get it to stir when hibernation is allowed to occur. Otherwise you may have to upset the APC as TorrentG suggests.

Reaction score
Thanks

I'll reenable hibenate through an Adminstrative Command Prompt.
TorrentG, I know you don't use a UPS but not showing the message isn't an ideal solution. If the power goes out for an extended period, the APC tells the computer to hibernate to force proper shutdown without data loss - it can't do that without the hibernation enabled.

I don't have a good answer for you brkkab, you may have to decide which happens more often and which you can live without :(

I would definitely check all your settings for power management in device manager and see if you can't somehow get it to stir when hibernation is allowed to occur. Otherwise you may have to upset the APC as TorrentG suggests.

Reaction score
Could you look over this for me ?

ToorentG, Could you have a look at my zipped msinfo32.nfo for me ? The one I sent you last night was in text by mistake. Thanks brkkab123

Attachments

Reaction score
msinfo32

Info on drivers, startups and services. Services may be the problem with MSE. I downloaded and applied Black Vipers tweaked settings. I'm curious if that's the problem.
Sure, I don't mind, but what would you like to know about it?

Reaction score
You can look at the Software Environment | Startup Programs section of msinfo32 for the startup apps. I don't really think you'd want my specific advice, because if it was my machine with all those, I'd remove every single one besides MSSE. You'll have to decide for yourself what you want to do with that. (The problem may be with one of these.)

The drivers are all well.

Sincerely doubtful that any service is altering MSE's behavior, as none of them should.

Reaction score
Which software would you remove ?

Which software would you remove ?The only software I don't want to remove are the Win7 Codec Pack and the x64 Components. The rest I'm up for any suggestions.
Sure, I don't mind, but what would you like to know about it?

Ask a Question