Microsoft Announces Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Packs Coming Later This

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

3-19-2010

Packs are expected land sometime in Q4

The first service pack for Microsoft's extremely popular Windows 7 operating system was just announced. It's expected to land late this year, accompanied by the first service pack for Microsoft 's business-minded Windows Server 2008 R2 OS. (Source: Telegraph UK)

Microsoft today announced that it was preparing to deliver Service Pack 1 for its tremendously popular new operating system, Windows 7, and its business-minded server operating system, Windows Server 2008 R2.

Service packs provide Microsoft with the opportunity to package together bug fixes and security fixes (which have typically been previously delivered piece-wise to consumers over Windows Update). They also provide a place for Microsoft to deliver new content. As Microsoft's retail releases come less frequently than those of its chief competitor Apple, Service Packs are crucial to Microsoft's OSs having a healthy lifecycle.

Among the highest profile updates expected for Windows 7 SP1 is the inclusion of USB 3.0 support. Many manufacturers are already stepping up to the plate and delivering USB 3.0 capable motherboards.

For Windows Server 2008 R2, the big news is the inclusion of two important virtualization technologies: Dynamic Memory and Remote FX. Dynamic Memory enhances Microsoft's Hyper-V, allowing it to monitor the memory usage of all the virtual machines running on the host. The Hyper-V pools all the physically available memory and then divvies it up as necessary. This should help prevent memory shortages on busy virtual machines and avoid wasting resources on underutilized VMs, all at a minimum administrative expense.

The other technology, Remote FX is used to deliver richer graphics to virtual machines. It runs on both thick and thin client hosts. According to Microsoft, it supports "any" screen content, including Silverlight or Flash.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 share a common code base, so the simultaneous service pack release makes sense. As to when the release might land, you can look at the history of Windows Vista for clues. Windows Vista's first service pack was announced at a similar time -- approximately five months after the operating system's release. It end up being released in beta form in September '07, in RC form in December, and in finalized form in mid-March. If Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 follow a similar release pattern, the beta could come as early as May, the RC would likely arrive in August, and the final build would air in November.

Interestingly, Windows 7 and it server brethren have been so well received that the service pack may not be as important. A recent survey by Dimensional Research revealed that 46 percent of information technology administrators said they would not wait until SP1's release to install Windows 7. That's a surprising number, considering admins usually wait until a Windows OS hits SP1. It's certainly a testimony to the new faith in Windows 7, both in the public and the tech community.

SOURCE

Reaction score
Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Packs Coming Later This

Nibiru2012 .
Today whilst reading another windows information site I noticed that your post about the Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Packs being released then as I was reading through I come across that Microsoft was due to release & have released on 27th April,2010 ,Windows Home Server Code named "'VAIL"'

Nibiru is this what you were posting about if so I was only to happy to post this,I hope all the links work as it looks interesting and I will be downloading it as I finish this post.Nibiru have a good week end.

Microsoft has announced the next version of Windows Home Server Code named “Vail”, its public beta is now available for everyone to download it and check out.​

Windows Home Server code name Vail announced

By Windows Club | April 27th, 2010 . Filed under: News. Tags: Home Server, Server

Source: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-home-server-code-name-vail-announced#more-8745#ixzz0meFSMmvk

enjoy this Video about the project and Download the Beta as soon as you want.Being a Beta software I would only recommend it being downloaded onto a PC that you are using for testing etc as I am aware that on your normal O/S Beta software can have some irregular unknown errors,Just a word of caution I do not expect any huge problems anyway I am off to download this now.

Have a great weekend members and readers

respectfully
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have read (from a Microsoft bulletin) that any service packs should come directly from Microsoft Update, there have been torrent leaks of the SP, and for safety reasons, it's best to wait for Microsoft to act first.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Nibiru2012 .
Today whilst reading another windows information site I noticed that your post about the Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Packs being released then as I was reading through I come across that Microsoft was due to release & have released on 27th April,2010 ,Windows Home Server Code named "'VAIL"'

Nibiru is this what you were posting about if so I was only to happy to post this,I hope all the links work as it looks interesting and I will be downloading it as I finish this post.Nibiru have a good week end.

Microsoft has announced the next version of Windows Home Server Code named “Vail”, its public beta is now available for everyone to download it and check out.​

Windows Home Server code name Vail announced

By Windows Club | April 27th, 2010 . Filed under: News. Tags: Home Server, Server

Source: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-home-server-code-name-vail-announced#more-8745#ixzz0meFSMmvk

enjoy this Video about the project and Download the Beta as soon as you want.Being a Beta software I would only recommend it being downloaded onto a PC that you are using for testing etc as I am aware that on your normal O/S Beta software can have some irregular unknown errors,Just a word of caution I do not expect any huge problems anyway I am off to download this now.

Have a great weekend members and readers

respectfully
jeffreyobrien

Jeffrey,

Good informative post! Thanks for the heads up. :top:

It's Midnight here in the Central US so I will read the rest of it in the morning.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Catilley,
Good advice,the source of my information was (Microsoft MVP Anand Khanse)
his website is a Microsoft Registered Community user of Genuine Microsoft Software,i do agree that there are 7 have been torrent leaks of the SP, however this is not Service packs it the full beta release of Windows Server Beta is Safe and it is backed by the Microsoft Community program run by the Windows Club and for safety reasons, it's best to wait for Microsoft to act first.Catilley this person is a registered MVP But as you said we should wait for the Microsoft Released Service packs yes but as I posted this isnt about the SP's.I should have done a seperate post.

The Windows Club
News, tips, how-to guides, support forums, and recommended downloads for Windows from Microsoft MVP Anand Khanse.

Microsoft announced the release to manufacturing of Windows Embedded Standard 7, delivering the power, familiarity and reliability of the Windows 7 in a highly customizable and componentized form. [Read More...]

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/community/more-communities

Please Note, my post is regarding this server however it is Not the Service Packs readers it is the Home Server itself,I have read on the Microsoft Community website of the service packs being made available May 2nd or there abouts.

Again have a good read first if you like.
regards
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Will this release be available to TechNet subscribers before the general public? It was my understanding that many major releases would be available through TechNet months before the final ones through Windows or Microsoft Update. This was part of my reason for subscribing, to get a jump on things.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think, in the case of a Service pack, it is unlikely. I cannot fully recall, but I don't think there was any release advantage with the Vista SP's.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I didn't know whether it was an advantage or not. But that Office 2010 is, I have the full Pro version, sold at the Microsoft Store for $499.99. I compared the features on mine to see. I noticed that Windows 7 Embedded is available for download, there was something about the media center mentioned. Wonder if it will be any good?

Reaction score
Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Packs Coming Later This >

Catilley,

The RTM is out,as well Office beta 2010 & yes mate technet,Microsoft partner,programs subscriptions qualify you free download of many new 2010 Microsoft Products.

With the release to manufacturing (RTM) of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 database software, now is the time to prepare for new levels of innovation. Take training to learn how to use-and promote-new features that increase scalability and improve efficiency.

With SQL Server 2008 R2, you can:
Learn more about the new features in SQL Server 2008 R2

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/R2Downloads.aspx

. Product and Solution Center
Are You Ready for Microsoft Office 2010?
Microsoft Office 2010 RTM is now available. Capitalize on the opportunity-start preparing for the upcoming launch.

All recently published Windows downloads

Dear Microsoft Office user:

Thank you for your interest in evaluating Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Beta. To help you complete a more thorough evaluation, visit the Microsoft Office TechCenter to access how-to videos and other great tools.

See Microsoft Office 2010 for yourself

We are inviting IT professionals around the world to work with the Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Beta in your lab environments, with your secondary PCs and with your Microsoft Office enthusiasts in order to help ensure smooth adoption when the final product is available and to gather feedback from real-world settings.
Important changes in product activation

We’ve made some important changes to how Microsoft Office products are activated. The new activation method is based on the Software Protection Platform first introduced in Windows Vista and currently used in Windows 7. If you have not activated already, please see the Activation section of the Release Notes.

Get started with Microsoft Office Web Apps today. Try out the Office Web Apps beta here.

Love Pivot Table views? Try out the new Microsoft PowerPivot add-in for Excel 2010 Beta.

Sincerely,
Your TechNet Team

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reaction score

davehc,
mate its All Good,as long as members fully understand that,if anyone digressed it was myself at beginning,(Meaning)branch out, change direction, depart, detour, deviate, divaricate, diverge, divert, drift, expatiate,the RTM is loose go grab it.

respectfully
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Catilley,

The RTM is out,as well Office beta 2010 & yes mate technet,Microsoft partner,programs subscriptions qualify you free download of many new 2010 Microsoft Products.

With the release to manufacturing (RTM) of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 database software, now is the time to prepare for new levels of innovation. Take training to learn how to use-and promote-new features that increase scalability and improve efficiency.

With SQL Server 2008 R2, you can:
Learn more about the new features in SQL Server 2008 R2

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/R2Downloads.aspx

. Product and Solution Center
Are You Ready for Microsoft Office 2010?
Microsoft Office 2010 RTM is now available. Capitalize on the opportunity-start preparing for the upcoming launch.

All recently published Windows downloads

Dear Microsoft Office user:

Thank you for your interest in evaluating Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Beta. To help you complete a more thorough evaluation, visit the Microsoft Office TechCenter to access how-to videos and other great tools.

See Microsoft Office 2010 for yourself

We are inviting IT professionals around the world to work with the Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Beta in your lab environments, with your secondary PCs and with your Microsoft Office enthusiasts in order to help ensure smooth adoption when the final product is available and to gather feedback from real-world settings.
Important changes in product activation

We’ve made some important changes to how Microsoft Office products are activated. The new activation method is based on the Software Protection Platform first introduced in Windows Vista and currently used in Windows 7. If you have not activated already, please see the Activation section of the Release Notes.

Get started with Microsoft Office Web Apps today. Try out the Office Web Apps beta here.

Love Pivot Table views? Try out the new Microsoft PowerPivot add-in for Excel 2010 Beta.

Sincerely,
Your TechNet Team
Do these servers work similar to consumer OS's, and would they work on a home computer? And if so, is there any advantage to doing so? BTW, that Office 2010 Professional Plus is great!

Reaction score
Catilley,
Microsoft do have a Home server as well this one for both small business and home servers,there are also many on Laptops.I will include this link and your questions many of which I myself don't have as I am also reading the information etc about it.I am Glad you like the Office it's cool I like it,as for the home server 2008 I have it on my XP desktop it is installing now I will let you know how it runs and what it can achieve .

There are three principal sources of information from Microsoft about SQL Server:
If you do not find the information you are looking for in these sources,Go to this link and you should find both Home server & Windows server 2008 Beta you can either post questions in the SQL Server community forums and newsgroups, or you can open a support case with Microsoft.

Enjoy
best regards
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Jeffrey, you'll love Office Pro Plus. I checked out those links on servers, I just don't think it's something I need. If I were a business owner, yes, it's good. But it's too steep of a learning curve for me to fool with. However, I've found and used some good OS's and programs on TechNet. Windows 7 didn't look good on my laptop, although it functioned fine. Vista SP2 looks and runs good on it. Never had it until a couple of days ago. And a fresh copy of XP Pro SP3, too. They go all the way back to 3.11, if you can run it. But I do wonder if Windows 7 SP1 will do any good at all. I'm not saying that it won't, but 7 is running good as it is.

Reaction score

Jeffrey, you'll love Office Pro Plus. I checked out those links on servers, I just don't think it's something I need. If I were a business owner, yes, it's good. But it's too steep of a learning curve for me to fool with. However, I've found and used some good OS's and programs on TechNet. Windows 7 didn't look good on my laptop, although it functioned fine. Vista SP2 looks and runs good on it. Never had it until a couple of days ago. And a fresh copy of XP Pro SP3, too. They go all the way back to 3.11, if you can run it. But I do wonder if Windows 7 SP1 will do any good at all. I'm not saying that it won't, but 7 is running good as it is.
Catilley,
thanks for reply mate davehc is correct my technet subscription lists 74 servers and your are right catilley 27 O\S even win 3.10 16bit & old DOS wow it subscribers to Download Just about every Microsoft Product available I am Downloading tonight I have been subscribed for a few months but never realised that I was able to download everything I have tried so far works fine.

have a good time catilley with Office pro
regards
jeffreyobrien

Ask a Question