Microphone Problem with Windows 7

Reaction score
hi, windows 7 has stopped to show my microphone today. In sounds controls (recording devices) it shows my mic grey and says that it's not plugged in, while it is. so, I cannot use my microphone. could anyone please help? thanks in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has this happened all of a sudden? If so, has anything changed since then?

I'd recommend updating the drivers if possible. If you don't know where to get them from, let us know the model and we can find them for you. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
hi, thanks for reply. yes, it happened all of a sudden. 2 days ago until I shut down pc it was working fine and yesterday in the evening when I tried to call home, I found it wasnt working. actually, it says "currently unavailable" right now. I've tried updating my audio drivers (realtek audio) but it didin't help. windows updated yesterday in th morning. that's the only change in system. I will try to uninstall it and see, if it helps.

Reaction score
ok, i uninstalled the update (KB974431) and mic started working again. then I installed the update again and it is still working. so, I guess, problem solved for now.

Reaction score
this update KB974431 seems to be messing with the sound system. this evening my sound has suddenly gone until I uninstalled it.

Reaction score
first check the following:
Go to the settings tab and place a check in the box next to Show Mixer Icon on Taskbar or recently downloaded and installed Real Player 7 .

Ask a Question