SOLVED Merge right-click context menuproblem

Reaction score
I have a few .reg files I made a while back for Take Ownership, Copy To, Move To, Speedup Aero Peek and Encrypt/Decrypt in the past when I right-clicked on these file and selected Merge, I'd get a yes/no pop up for adding them to the registry. I just right-clicked on all these files, selected Merge for each and all of a sudden Notepad now opens up instaed of the yes/no popup for adding them to the registry.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It sounds like you now have a file association of .reg to open with notepad. Check your file associations and remove that one.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Right click any one of the reg files. Select "Open with"
Choose registry editor. If not shown, select "Choose default Program" and see if it is in the next window. If, again, it is not even shown there, browse to your windows folder and select regedit.exe as the default

Reaction score
Thanks TM & Dave. Changed it from Notepad to Registry Editor as Default and it fixed it. Funny thing is, I never changed it to Notepad to begin with. I'm beginning to think Windows Backup has few issue's MS need's to fix. This episode happened after a ssd firmware update last week and then rebooting from the W7 Disk and letting it restore a System Image from the previous day. I also had a issue a while back where I needed to restore a few folders into the Documents folder. All of a sudden after that one alot of pdf's could no longer be read in Adobe Reader. I tried Acronis last year and didn't care for it. I had a issue where I checked to see how long it would take to restore a System Image. It said over 7 hours. Windows 7 restores a image on my pc in about 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I must single out one problem from your post, with indignation.
I have used Acronis for many years. It has saved me from disaster many times, as I am an incurable experimenter.
I currently have about 40gigs of software on my OS partition. An Acronis backup, which, by the way, includes all your activation, Mbr, the works, takes, on average, about 12 minutes. The recovery, the same time.

Reaction score
Well, last year I got the 2010 version and the Plus Package to go along with it as I new I was eventually going to get a ssd. Some type of malware screwed up my pc. Acronis 2010, did indeed state it would take 7+ to restore a system image at the time. If I remeber correct I had maybe 145 gbs. between 2 hard drives. At the time, I did a clean install, re-installed and re-configured everything in under those 7+ hour's.

Ask a Question