Member experience

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Just wondering what each of you is more into. I'm more into software. Cat seems to like security alot, and Torrent BSODs.

What about you others?

Fire Cat : Software
Catilley1092 : Software + Security + VMs
Yodap : Software + Hardware

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm into software a lot myself, tinkering with various OS's installed into VM's. So you could say that I'm into VM's, especially VirtualBox.

It's only rumors and gossip at this time, but there's been reports that the next version of Windows will have VM software built into the OS. We'll just have to wait and see about that one. However, running VM's are becoming more popular than dual booting by the day. And the current choices of VM software are seeing major improvements as well, especially Windows Virtual PC & VirtualBox.

Other than that, Fire cat has reported correct, security software is of high importance to me, although in recent weeks, I've learned to relax a bit, and let MSE do it's job.

Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
"weed, whites and wine!"

That's a joke son!
Like you, software, then hardware, but I lack the funds to really fulfill my hardware jones.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
yodap reminded me of another computing hobby that I'm into, having plenty of hard drives on hand. I almost bought another one, a Seagate FreeAgent 1.5TB backup, but with funds tight, I had to delete the email, otherwise I would've found an excuse to buy it.

I have plenty of hard drives, my next upgrade will be a newer, faster AMD Athlon X2 processor. My current one is a Athlon X2 3250e. I just need to find a compatible one for my computer. Come next spring, it'll be a done deal, provided our great Lord allows me to be here that long.

Cat

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
yodap reminded me of another computing hobby that I'm into, having plenty of hard drives on hand. I almost bought another one, a Seagate FreeAgent 1.5TB backup, but with funds tight, I had to delete the email, otherwise I would've found an excuse to buy it.

I have plenty of hard drives, my next upgrade will be a newer, faster AMD Athlon X2 processor. My current one is a Athlon X2 3250e. I just need to find a compatible one for my computer. Come next spring, it'll be a done deal, provided our great Lord allows me to be here that long.

Cat

That's great! I love AMD :p

On the other hand, I seriously need a 2TB hard drive for my web server. Not too sure what to choose. Samsung has great ones...

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Samsung and WD are both great choices. My last drive purchased was a 1TB Samsung HD103SJ. I got it from Newegg, using a discount code, for $59.99 w/free shipping. It's an excellent drive for the money spent.

Earlier in the spring, Nibiru suggested to me the WD 750GB Caviar Black, I got it for $89.99. It did have a problem, but WD replaced it with a 1TB Caviar Black, at no extra charge to me, except my shipping charges to return the defective drive.

However, where you live, I don't know what your choices are in regards of where to purchase hardware. But I feel that you can't go wrong with Samsung or WD. Also, Seagate builds quality drives as well.

As long as you go with a major player, you should be OK.

Cat

Reaction score
Software (primarily security, firewalls, antispyware, antimalware), browser tweaking and system optimization.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm more into hardware. If what I have in software is working and does what I need i don't tend to bother with anything new. But I've got draws full of PCI boards, and cables, drives etc

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Operating systems. I've always been intrigued by them. I used to be into networking, back when people used NetWare etc to set up networks and it was more hands-on. You can still get very hands-on if you run your own mail server or something, but back in the early 90's there were benefits to it, whereas now it's just complicating your own life needlessly.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just wondering what each of you is more into.
I like tweaks (registry/disabling unused services, but not into changing icons for folders etc) and applications; I have folders of software under "maybe someday" or "use as needed".

Oh, and French Women, Ohh La La ... OK I haven't had this member experience yet, but I'm open to the possibility ;)

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Nope, not French so I'm safe...LOL!

I would say I'm into Virtual Machines, though not the extent that Cat is and I am into Security (Antivirus, Antimalware & Firewall). I do like to try out different Software from time to time as well.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I didn't specify but I've decided from now on they also have to be unattached non-smokers, so being married you're also safe in that way.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I forgot to mention my collection of operating systems, going as far back as Windows Me (a piece of crap) to Windows 7. And a ton of Linux OS's as well. That's why I love the VM's so much, you can load it up, update it, and if you don't like what you see, about four clicks, it's gone.

But I have my two favorites, Windows 7, which is my main one, and Mint 9. The Ubuntu variants (the platform that Mint comes from) are the best, and are slowly, but surely, moving up the charts.

Cat

Reaction score
My collection of operating systems goes back to Windows 98. My current favorite is Windows 7 HP, then I have Win ME (on old laptop) and Win98SE (on old desktop). Wife has WinXP SP3 on her laptop. I like that as well.

After Win7, I would say that Win98SE is my old favorite. That OS (and desktop) was very reliable, especially after I finished tweaking it to my liking, even though it only had a paltry 128 MB of RAM, which back when I purchased it 11 years ago, was considered "high end". How the technology has changed!

Last edited:

Ask a Question