Media Player error message

Reaction score
I'm trying to play some video files using Windows Media Player and getting the message "Windows Media Player cannot play, burn, rip, or sync the protected file because you do not have the appropriate rights." Can someone tell me if this is because the file is copy-protected? Or encrypted? Or something else? Also I'd like to know if/how to get the "appropriate rights" I'm using Media Player 12 on Windows 7 Home Premium.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This would have to do with Digital Rights Management (DRM). Basically you have a song/video that is protected/limited to specific programs/devices. This happens, for example if you buy songs from itunes. It is a way to prevent file sharing but often even prevents the purchaser from using it in another app.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK thanks. I rather figured it was something like that. Is there any way to obtain the "appropriate rights"? Media Center can play the files so it obviously has the rights (PlayreadyPC runtime??) but Media Player cannot, even though I have the "download usage rights automatically..." checked.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know how to share the license between Media Center & Media Player.

But you might search for programs to strip the DRM from the files. No DRM, no DRM limitations, on any of your devices.

NOTE: Removing the DRM may be legal for your personal use but sharing it with others would violate copyright laws in many countries.

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for the best DRM removal software? For the record, I'm not trying to do anything illegal, I simply want to time-shift recorded movies, nothing more. In my case that means using wmP to play recordings made by wmC. I already have that capability and it works just fine for non-DRM recordings. Any other solution would cost me $$$ and I'm trying to avoid that. I pay for the cable and I pay for the cable card. I just want to time-shift and DRM prevents me from doing that.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When I was researching your question everything I found that worked with W7 was paid software so hopefully someone else has free ideas.

Reaction score
Well, I guess I'm stuck. Tried a number of the converters that claim to remove DRM. All of them failed miserably, including the free trials of some that cost $$. I may have to find an inexpensive Media Center extender but I really don't want another piece of hardware. I was hoping for a software solution. I will start to investigate screen capture software, maybe one of those will eliminate my problem.

Ask a Question