Mass Effect Windows 7 compatibility issues.

Reaction score
I recently got Mass Effect for christmas and was going to use it on my Windows 7 laptop. I got it installed, but when I go to play and it checks the configuration, it brings up a small box that says "Mass Effect has stopped working". I've tried running it as the admin, but tha doesn't work either.
I saw on a similar problem board that someone told them to check to see if they had ME1 PC patches installed...but I have no idea what that means, or how to get the patches to install them.
I keep looking for help, but these people are all people wh KNOW what they're doing. They're talking about OH it's the UAC or the DSP or the ABC or whatever. Well, those words don't mean a thing to me because it's all letters in my eyes. So if you help me,could you keep it simple?
I would REALLY appreciate the help.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Kinalara & welcome :)

UAC = User Account Control, just type uac in search the click the link at the top of search and you can configure UAC to your needs (you may have to put the slider to the bottom "off" to install your program)

Reaction score
I was just using UAC as an example XD I really have no idea what I need to do at all because no one has helped me. Someone mentioned making sure they had the most recent ME1 patch installed, but I have no idea where I would install it.

Thank you, though =)

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the link and help ^^ I will try the patch. But in what section would I find the patches?

Reaction score
Well, I got past the config.screen, but now it takes me to a blank screen and sits me there. I tried running it as admin- nothing. What now?

Reaction score
Can you walk me through how I might do that? Sorry about beig so clueless and than you for helping me ^^'

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As you confess to not knowing a great deal about the inner workings, I wonder if you know of the "compatibility". ( Yes, I noted the thread title!) option.

If you do not, I would suggest you try reinstalling the program. There are two stages. First, right click the install (install.exe : p.exe or whatever). Now select properties. You will see a tab at the top of the window, "compatibility". Click this and in the next windows, select XP sp1 in the middle box and, in the samll square at the boottom, "run as Administrator"

When the program has been installed, find the executive file under "program files " in Windows Explorer. I'm guessing it will be under a folder named "Mass Effect". Follow the same procedure as above and see if you get any better results.

View attachment 721

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
No probs - Click Start (round windows orb bottom left of your desktop) > type uac in search the click the link at the top of search and you can configure UAC to your needs (you may have to put the slider to the bottom "off" to install your program) > click OK.

Reaction score
I took off the UAC, checked the little administrator box, an even right clicked an ran as admin. Still black screen. Is there anything else I can possibly try?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
yes , just for now shut down any AV / spyware apps you have running, and did you follow install instructions ? you can run the patch off line if your happier with out AV protection :)

Reaction score
AV? And how would I run it off line and would that change anything? Also, if I turned off my spyware- however you do that-, could I turn it back on?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Lets look at your AV = Anti Virus protection first ... what protection do you have on your PC ? this can be disabled for the time it takes to install the patch - remembering the patch is not guaranteed to solve your problem mate.

Also after a little search i found this as to Mass Effect patch 1.01 > http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=2751

Reaction score
I already have the patch installed, and I have Norton protection on my laptop.

Reaction score
Ok, so install mass effect without UAC and run as admin...but the patch was the ony thingh that got me through the compatibility screen.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Your Norton would only be disabled for a short time and in that time you can always go off line, Protection applications can sometimes impede the installation of some applications.

Myself i disable all protection when installing any applications

Reaction score
Ok. But I need to reinstall the game without the patch? Wouldn't that land me back where I started?

Ask a Question