Mass Effect on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Can anyone successfully play Mass Effect on Windows 7? I have the latest nvidia drivers for my computer and the latest game patch is installed.

When it launches there is just a black screen and I can't do anything unless I press alt-control-delete to end the task. I have tried reinstalling the game and running it in compatibility mode but it still won't play.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, Mass Effect does work ok on Windows 7 - I have it running myself :)

It sounds like you have performed all of the common things that may prevent Mass Effect from running. Did you try with any older nvidia drivers to see if that makes a difference?

Can you post the full specs of your PC on here, just in case that throws up a known issue.

Reaction score
Yes I tried it with the drivers that came with Windows 7 at first and I had the same problem. I just tried again with some beta drivers and instead of using alt-control-delete I tried to alt and tab out of it. There was something flashing on the black screen when I tried that, it looked like another window message but I couldn't read it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have a software firewall, antivirus or security suite running? Sometimes an alert will popup behind a game to ask if you wish to allow net/file access to a new application. I've had this happen sometimes the first time I run a game and you'll need to select an option for the application to continue normally. Try clicking the approve/yes type option if you can make it out and see if the game loads. (Or you can manually add it to the safe list).

Reaction score
Me Too

I'm having problems playing it as well. I have it downloaded from Steam, and when i click on it it shows a loading icon but then nothing happens, not even a blank screen. If I keep trying eventually it just tells me it's already running.

Reaction score
Did you try changing the attrbutes of the shortcut to "Run as administrator"?

Reaction score
Help

Yeah i bought mass effect and installed it yeah. i run the app click play and it goes to config for the game. straight away windows says the program has stopped and the error is called BEX and the app associated with this error is obvioussly mass effect.exe.
now windows suggested getting the latest patch for mass effect so i downloaded it and ran it. it extractedd all files and installed them . i now click play when i run the launcher and it brings up configuration fine. i click play and a black screen appears for about a second. then windows says the program haas stopped working. the error this time is APPCRASH associated with mass effect yet again of course.
i do not know what to do. is it because my proccessor is below 2.00ghz. its a compaq presario. also i dont have ATI or NVIDIDA cards so could that be it? but i do have windows seven and it seems to work with everyone else.

please help

Reaction score
i have installed ME 1 on my computer after beating ME 2 and decided i want to save some ppl in ME 1 and kill that crazy chick ashley. I cant configure the game (error that occurs after hitting play) whats the problem??????

Reaction score
i have installed ME 1 on my computer after beating ME 2 and decided i want to save some ppl in ME 1 and kill that crazy chick ashley. I cant configure the game (error that occurs after hitting play) whats the problem??????
I have installed ME2 its very good game for playing.......but I have found that the game is creating some stupid files on every game and software folder in my PC....this is the bad part...when my fr try to install it the whole OS crashed :eek: i said lol.......Well he changed to XP again :|

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alright so just like Washernut I'm having the same issues with original ME. the game gets to the splash screen after a long pause, freezes, then goes to black screen that I must e.p. Here Are my specs:

Acer Aspire 5534
Win7 Home premium 64-bit (6.1, build 7600)
4 GB RAM
DX 11

G-Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200
2 GB Memory
Driver:atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

I installed to program files folder (32bit version), updated it to 1.02 , reinstalled it in program files x86 folder, updated the version again, still nothing

tried running in administrator, switched to windows xp compatible, and windows vista compatible, no good

shut off all antivirus software, restarted computer, updated drivers, rolled back drivers, nothing

I've looked everwhere on the net, and still no hint of what to do. I know this is a few months old now, but I'm begging for help. so....

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Reaction score
I can play it by running Mass Effect.exe from the installation folder\Binaries..the problem seems on the configuration menu

Reaction score
Yep, I do, on Win7 64bits. See the game requirements:

PC MINIMUM System Requirements

OS = Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
Processor = 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
Memory = 1 GB RAM for Windows XP / 2 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Hard Drive = 15 GB
DVD ROM = 1x Speed
Sound Card = DirectX 9.0c compatible
Direct X = DirectX 9.0c August 2008 (included)
Input = Keyboard / Mouse
Video Card = 256 MB (with Pixel Shader 3.0 support). Supported Chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater; ATI Radeon X1600 Pro or greater. Please note that NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 8100, 8200, 8300, 8400, and 9300; ATI Radeon HD3200, and HD4350 are below minimum system requirements. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.

PC RECOMMENDED System Requirements
Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
2.6+ GHz Cure 2 Duo Intel or equivalent AMD CPU
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, or better recommended
100% DirectX compatible sound card and drivers
DirectX August 2008
NOTES: For the best results, make sure you have the latest drivers for your video and audio cards. Laptop or mobile versions of the above supported video cards have not had extensive testing and may have driver or other performance issues. As such, they are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.

Reaction score
My Mass Effect ( I bought it from Steam) started working after I installed the BDTS patch. Seems to work just fine now.

Reaction score
See its requirements, though :

PC MINIMUM System Requirements
OS = Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
Processor = 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
Memory = 1 GB RAM for Windows XP / 2 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Hard Drive = 15 GB
DVD ROM = 1x Speed
Sound Card = DirectX 9.0c compatible
Direct X = DirectX 9.0c August 2008 (included)
Input = Keyboard / Mouse
Video Card = 256 MB (with Pixel Shader 3.0 support). Supported Chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater; ATI Radeon X1600 Pro or greater. Please note that NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 8100, 8200, 8300, 8400, and 9300; ATI Radeon HD3200, and HD4350 are below minimum system requirements. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.

PC RECOMMENDED System Requirements
Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
2.6+ GHz Cure 2 Duo Intel or equivalent AMD CPU
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, or better recommended
100% DirectX compatible sound card and drivers
DirectX August 2008

Reaction score
Updated to version 1.02 of the game via a link on Windows 7 "Solve PC Issue" (That little flag in the bottom right of the Windows tool bar.) Works great now.

Reaction score
Can't get it to start

okay so i downloaded the game on steam and everytime i click on it to play it seems to cancel itself and won't start up. i don't know what's wrong can anyone help me? has anyone had similar problems?

Reaction score
Help?

Hey so I just bought Mass effect off Steam and it refuses to run. I am on a windows 7 PC and its pretty much brand new so i know it should run it without a hitch. Can any one help me solve this problem?
what happens is i click the shortcut and it says preparing to launch mass effect but that's all it does and it never launches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question