SOLVED Lost life and new laptop

Reaction score
I had a brain tumor that's kicked my ass and my living situation is no longer secure. I'm trying to do computing on the cheap and I hate popup ads. I can't seem to get unpacked and a have a new laptop w/ gobs of crap I don't need. It says I have viruses . I can't stand Bing. I've downloaded ComboFix, JRT, rtkill, Malaware, Spybot, and Avast. Set things up on Chrome, still getting Bing and computer is still wonky.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Bing likely came across as a Windows Update but it isn't a virus. You will want to go to the control panel > Programs and Features and uninstall the Bing Toolbar. Also, after you uninstall, if the browser opens to Bing or MSN you probably want to go into your browser settings and change the homepage.

So what program is saying you have viruses? Spybot will report many items it calls "PUP"s, Potentially Unwanted Programs; these are rarely viruses they are simply programs you may want to uninstall. This is often because they popup ads or change browser settings, add unwanted toolbars, etc. Again, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall them.

Once you remove all those things run a scan again and take a screenshot and post the results.

Reaction score
I installed Ubuntu, got rid of Bing and the annoying pop-ups but turned out to be a mistake. My son moved me to Dallas and left his broken old man to fend for himself. My "office" hasn't been unpacked because my back is in constant pain and I'm alone w/ no friends (except in wheelchairs; I'm in assisted living). I need to uninstall Ubuntu.

I'm impatient to a fault and this laptop (my desktop is packed) and I can't access the Ubuntu forums. Can someone help me uninstall Ubuntu step-by-step? I need learn to stick w/ what I'm familiar with.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you still have the product key for Windows 7? Because you will need that if you want to reinstall it.

Ubuntu is not really a problem, you can simply format the drive
BUT ...
First you must fix the boot sector because of the GRUB Bootloader.

Solution:
1. Set your BIOS Boot Order to access the DVD first

2. Insert the W7 Installation DVD

3. Reboot the computer to the W7 Installation DVD

Ramin15 said:
4. In the ‘System Recovery Options’ dialog box, go to the last option i.e. Command Prompt .

5. Once in the command prompt (X:\Sources> ), type exactly the following commands in the same sequence

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
C:
CD Boot
Attrib bcd –s –h –r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

then it said “Scanning all disks for windows installations. Please wait, since this may take a while…
Successfully scanned windows installations: 1
[1] C:\windows
Add installations to boot list? Yes(y)/No(N)/All(A) : “

I pressed ‘Y’ as there was only one instance of windows installation. Then it said The operation completed successfully.

6. [type] bootrec /fixmbr

7. [type] bootrec /FixBoot
Source

NOTE: the quote above should be expanded. It is important that you do all of the steps 4 - 7 listed in the quote box

8. Then type
X:
FORMAT C: /FS:NTFS

9 Install W7

Ask a Question