Logitech Optical Mouse ?

Reaction score
Have a question concerning drivers for optical mice.
Have installed on several units a Logitech MX500.
There are no updated Windows7 drivers.
On the units not using Windows7, the mice are listed as
a Logitech Mouse and all 8 buttons function.
On the 64bit unit in the BIOS and Windows7 Home Premium
x64bit. Two generic in BIOS and 2 Microsoft 3 button mice are listed
in Windows7.
Only mouse installed is the MX500.
The 8 buttons on the Logitech work and no problems exist..
Used "regedit" searching for a Logitech listing, no listing in the registry.
Does anyone know how Windows7 accomplishes my being able to use the 8 buttons?

Reaction score
I use a Logitech wireless mouse on my laptop without any drivers installed except for the receiving unit which is USB. I think that's all that is required.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
From The Logitech support page for the MX™500 Optical Mouse

Software:

Title: Software Not Required
Software Version: N/A
Post Date: 1/23/2007
Platform: Windows Vista
File Size: N/A
Download Instructions

This device uses the native drivers when used with Microsoft Vista™. If you do not have Vista, please select another operating system from the dropdown list above.

This product originally shipped with either iTouch or MouseWare, which are not compatible with Vista. We strongly recommend to uninstall iTouch and/or MouseWare prior to migrating to Windows Vista. After iTouch and MouseWare are uninstalled, the basic functionality of your devices will be provided by the Windows native driver.
It might be the same for Windows 7 also. As you said there's no Win 7 drivers listed.

Reaction score
Thank you "all", for your time and replies.
Was interested in finding how Windows7 Home Premium x64bit
is able to see all 8 buttons and allow operation of said buttons.

While showing "2" 3 button Microsoft mice in the Device and Printer section.

Not worried about the Logitech mouse, since it has always worked.
Am curious about the dichotomy between what Windows shows and the
actual operation of the mouse.

Reaction score
I have been into computers since the Commodore 64, so I know a little bit about them. I am running a 32 bit Windows 7 AMD Quad. I purchased a Logitech trackman mouse, That is the one with the ball on the left side along with a wheel and buttons. It states that no drivers are need for Windows 7. The damn thing freezes my desktop and it goes gray, but if I remove it and put my normal Logitech mouse (non trackball) back into the PS2 slot, all is well. I have tried the trackman both in USB and in PS2 with the adapter that is supplied. I have tried to update the driver but it is current. The disk that comes with the trackman has additional features but is not necessary according to Logitech. I tried installing the program anyway and it didn't help. I removed my Panda anti-virus software and tried it again. Same result. I can only come to one conclusion and that is that even though Microsoft has it listed as compatible, it isn't. Any ideas would be appreciated. Device manager states that it is working correctly. One thing I did notice is that when the trackman is installed things get very slow before the freeze. Even the icons on the desktop load much slower. This is my first post and excuse my submitting this as a reply, I can't figure out how to post it correctly.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody here tried to install the Logitech SetPoint software?
That should work, especially to get all features on a mouse or trackball (or keyboard) to function properly.

Though, if you can't get it to work with your hardware, you should have got a installation CD with the mouse or trackball.

Reaction score
That should work, especially to get all features on a mouse or trackball (or keyboard) to function properly.

Though, if you can't get it to work with your hardware, you should have got a installation CD with the mouse or trackball.
Hi,
I did that and it didn't help. That was the software I was talking about.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score

I use a Logitech Trackman Wheel mouse also. I use the SetPoint 64 bit software / driver package with no issues at all.

I also use the USB connection. Never have had any problems at all.

Reaction score
As I said I have Windows 7 32 bit not 64 bit. Maybe that has something to do with it? Anyway it doesn't seem to be Windows since my regular mouse works well in USB and PS2.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
There are 32 bit SetPoint Drivers at the Logitech website. It gives a lot of configurations for my Trackman Wheel mouse.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You are using the newer gray Trackman marble, not the old white version? (I have the old white version which Logitech no longer supports and all but the center mouse button function through native Win 7 drivers, but I'm 64-bit). Does Setpoint recognize your trackman at all (if it does there will be a "mouse" tab beside the "tools" tab in setpoint settings - if NOT then in the Tools tab, lower left click "Save System Reports". If it is like my unsupported version it will tell you a Logitech is attached but no valid yada yada. Basically Setpoint isn't going to work for you if this is the case and your only hope is to get the native drivers working.

When you say it locks up, I have seen issues where when I was using a USB connection my pointer seemed to studder as it went across the screen but the systm never locked completely, it just slowed, and this was solved by changing to the PS2 connection. How much memory do you have on your machine, as I wonder if this could be the driver going crazy with mem usage until it explodes. If you have 2GB or less could you use the PS2 connection and set up a flash drive for ready boost and see if that helps, at all. (Just snowballing crazy ideas here, as I don't know for certain.)

Reaction score
I appreciate you all trying to help, but so far nothing works.I was using the darker gray trackman. I am trying to remember about the mouse tab since I deleted the setpoint software. There were 2 tabs, I remember that. The first one had the settings for the buttons and wheel. When I say the system locked up here is what happened:
Clicking on anything did not produce an open item. I couldn't open folders or software. The screen would go gray. If I disconnected the trackman, the screen would come back to its full color, but of course I had no mouse. When I used my normal mouse, which is a logitech wheel mouse by the way, in either PS2 or USB it worked perfectly. I have 4 Gigs of memory.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When Windows 7 wants to install software but requires Administrator priviledges it will gray the screen - usually you can alt-tab to bring this request for authorization box forward if it isn't visible. And yes it basically halts everything waiting for this authorization - this is controlled by settings in control panel. You can lower the settings so the screen doesn't gray out, etc.

If you had a mouse tab then setpoint DOES see your mouse so I recommend you reinstall it and if you get the gray screen try alt-tab and see if there isn't a box tryin to get your attention.

Reaction score
I would have tried that but the keyboard was frozen, but thanks. By the way I am logged on with administrative priv.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got the trackman mouse to work finally. I can't say exactly how, but here is what I did,
I went to msconfig then startup and went through everything there and eliminated anything
that I didn't need to start with booting windows. Believe it or not, that did it. Apparently
there was some sort of conflict with something that was running in the background.
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Ask a Question