Laptop fan turns on and off

Reaction score
My laptop fan gets very loud every few minutes and then quiets down for a few minutes, does anyone know how to fix this?

I have Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Samsung laptop with core i7, graphics card, 8gb ram.

Shintaro

Reaction score
The fan will come on when the CPU gets too hot.
Or depending on the age of the laptop and the environment, the intake for the fan and / or the intake duct / cpu heat sink could be full of dust.
If it is dust, then, with the laptop off you can use a vacuum cleaner to try and suck the dust out. Or send it in to the Samsung repairer to get them to look at it or clean it.

I never let my laptop sit flat on a desk. I have a cheap plastic frame that angles the back of my laptop off the desk. That way the intake for the fan is not obstructed, hence keeping my i7 cooler.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can actually buy trays to sit it on that have additional fans. It helps improve the air flow even more.

NOTE: Never set your laptop on a rug or blanket as the material actually closes off the openings even more. And the hotter computer components get, the more likely they are to fail.

Ask a Question