Laptop automatically powers on when plugged in for charging

Reaction score
I am having this problem for past a week.as soon as the charger is plugged into the laptop, the laptop gets automatically turn on (without pressing the power button). The laptop fully boot and not geving any other problem.
A laptop should turn on only when the power button is pressed. What makes the power bypass the power button and turn on? i don't know why this stupid laptop behaving like this i am very frustrated now because when i plugged it in it gets boot and i have to manually shuts it down every time.
please help me.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Maybe a BIOS setting? In my BIOS I can set my computer to automatically restart when power is restored, of course mine is a desktop so it doesn't have a battery, but probably worth checking.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I agree - I also suspect this is a setting in your BIOS. While PC power settings are different than notebooks (since PCs don't run on batteries), there may be a setting your BIOS that says to boot when the charger is connected. I would check your owners manual.

Reaction score
thank you both of you for replaying.
i have check BIOS but i coudent find that option so can you please tell me
that where exactly i find that option?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Don't know, I don't have the same computer. Take some photos of your BIOS screens and then post them here.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Based on his system specs I did my searches on a Dell Inspiron 1510

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My son, who is a dell field repair man, was visiting as this thread was posting.. He states that there are two problems. It is the CPU, which he says is unlikely,. or a motherboard fault. In either case, it would need a motherboard replacement.

Suggestions. If you are able, get to the motherboard and see if it could be cleaned up a little, there could be a deposit causing a short on the power switch.. Under these circumstances, in his daily work, he would change the motherboard. If you are not under guarantee, the cost of this would be prohibitive.

Reaction score
Thank you all for helping me. i just want to know that what if i dint repair it i mean its not a big problem for me ya its a lil bit anoying but i can menage that i dont want to change my motherbord.

BUT i also dont want to take any risk. Can it become a majore problem in future?
Will it demage my laptop?
plz help me.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Leaving a notebook plugged in 24/7 has been known to shorten the life of the battery. But generally, the notebook itself should be fine.

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Just fixed it right now after reading this forum. I got Panasonic CF-30 Toughbook Laptop. The problem was setting in BIOS. I suspected that should be in BIOS after I checked all of the windows power settings and didn't find anything. But i decided to google it before rebooting and going to BIOS menu. So i found this forum. And after I read it I started thinking - "no its not BIOS its may be the problem with motherboard." But I decided to check the BIOS anyway. So I did and there it is. First page in my BIOS is Information, than right Arrow click and we have page called "Main" its got this option under Display, option called "Power On AC" press arrow down until "Power On AC" option is selected than press ENTER, than chose "Disable" option and press ENTER again. After that make few right clicks to go to BIOS page "Exit". Select "Save Values and Reboot" option press ENTER chose "Yes" and press ENTER again. And you are all set. Now after your computer Boots you can power it off. Unplug you charger and test, by plugging and unplugging your power cord, and see if change works for you. Works great for me. So this issue is not an issue with motherboard its just an Option in your BIOS. I just checked the date of previous posts in this forum and I realized that you probably don't have the laptop anymore or have fixed the problem some three years ago. Well I hope that my post will be helpful for some one else from today's days having same issue like i just had moments ago.

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Just fixed it right now after reading this forum. I got Panasonic CF-30 Toughbook Laptop. The problem was setting in BIOS. I suspected that should be in BIOS after I checked all of the windows power settings and didn't find anything. But i decided to google it before rebooting and going to BIOS menu. So i found this forum. And after I read it I started thinking - "no its not BIOS its may be the problem with motherboard." But I decided to check the BIOS anyway. So I did and there it is. First page in my BIOS is Information, than right Arrow click and we have page called "Main" its got this option under Display, option called "Power On AC" press arrow down until "Power On AC" option is selected than press ENTER, than chose "Disable" option and press ENTER again. After that make few right clicks to go to BIOS page "Exit". Select "Save Values and Reboot" option press ENTER chose "Yes" and press ENTER again. And you are all set. Now after your computer Boots you can power it off. Unplug you charger and test, by plugging and unplugging your power cord, and see if change works for you. Works great for me. So this issue is not an issue with motherboard its just an Option in your BIOS. I just checked the date of previous posts in this forum and I realized that you probably don't have the laptop anymore or have fixed the problem some three years ago. Well I hope that my post will be helpful for some one else from today's days having same issue like i just had moments ago.
Dear VITYOK3000, I am very thankful to your excellent resolution. I tried many things to solve this issue. I removed battery and held the power button to drain any static power left on the board, formatted my system, updated BIOS, removed the harddisc and inserted it back, I did all these things to no avail. Then i read your post and followed your steps and was able to solve my laptop issue. My laptop is a Dell make, but steps were the same. Thanks again for your time to help others. God Bless You.

Reaction score
dear #paul and VITYOK3000 , i dont find any option like " Power on ac " on my bios of dell N5050
please help me i too am facing the same problem.. help me

Reaction score
dear #paul and VITYOK3000 , i dont find any option like " Power on ac " on my bios of dell N5050
please help me i too am facing the same problem.. help me
Just make sure you are navigating properly thru your bios. It has like few pages with different options and info. Read carefully every option in it. It should be there. Your bios might be a bit different than mine. Make sure you learned what every option means. And only than if you havent found what you need look elswhere. Some sudgest checking windows power options. But i doubt. Pc powers on while windows is not even boot so it should be bios. As it was with my laptop

Reaction score
Dear VITYOK3000, I am very thankful to your excellent resolution. I tried many things to solve this issue. I removed battery and held the power button to drain any static power left on the board, formatted my system, updated BIOS, removed the harddisc and inserted it back, I did all these things to no avail. Then i read your post and followed your steps and was able to solve my laptop issue. My laptop is a Dell make, but steps were the same. Thanks again for your time to help others. God Bless You.
Im glad i been helpful to some one. Thank you for your good wishes. Gods Blessing is always appreciated, thank you!

Reaction score
If unplugging and/or removing the battery won't keep proper date and time on the computer or laptop, change the battery. After that, go to bios setup, if there is option for power on/off, change to off, save and exit to restart. In case one can't be found, restore to default value, save and exit to restart.

Hopefully, the problem will solve. I have two computers that are over five years old, both had the same problem at some point, and were fixed after changing batteries and bios settings.

Reaction score
Dell PC and laptop use a BIOS setting called AC Power On if its selected in the radio button this will happen as it's instructed to do so

Untick and it will only power up on the laptop power button

Dell has different BIOS screens for different models so it's worth looking under power management and startup first

Ask a Question