Just upgraded from Vista. No sound from my speakers

Reaction score
I upgraded my Dell M1330 to Windows 7 from Vista. I have no sound at all from my laptop speakers. I've checked all of the usual things, driver updates, windows updates, etc. Nothing works and everything is up to date. The speakers aren't muted. When i look at the device manager, the only options I can see are for headphone and RCA jacks. I can't seem to find the integrated laptop speakers. Can anyone help point me in the right direction??

Last edited:
Reaction score
i downloaded and installed that driver. still not working. in the volume icon in the system tray, it shows that that the volume is working. any other ideas? i tried running the windows troubleshooter, but nothing there worked.

Reaction score
btw, it is a 32-bit system. i even tried uninstalling my sound drivers and restarting my laptop. upon restart, windows automatically downloads and installs drivers for 2 separate high definition audio devices. still having the same results.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Try going to the Sound section in the Control Panel, then in the windows of the "Playback" tab, right-click and choose: Show Disabled Devices. Your problem may be there.

Reaction score
I've done that. It shows four different option. I have two different high definition audio devices, one set as default that shows to be working, and one that says it's not plugged in. I also have a digital audio (s/pdif) that shows to be ready and my hdmi input.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you tried Microsoft "Fix it"? Link for sound problems is HERE.

Reaction score
Try setting the one that says not plugged in, as the default playback device.

That could mean the headphone's aren't plugged in, but still the correct choice to make.

Reaction score
the microsoft fix it software didn't detect any issues. i tried switching the not plugged in device to my default, still no sound. i tried plugging in some headphones into the jack on front of the computer. the sound worked fine then! but still nothing from the laptop speakers.

Reaction score
It could be a driver issue, which is likely.

It could also be because the 1/8" jack for the headphones is malfunctioning, making the pc think there is always headphones plugged in, even when they aren't. If this is what is happening, the audio would always be sent to the jack, causing the sound to never go to the speakers.

But like I said, probably a driver issue, unless you know you might have damaged the jack at some time.

Try different versions of the driver from the page I posted and it may eventually work. XP versions may even do well.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you plug a headphone into your output jack does that work?

Do you have a speaker icon in your notification area (system tray in older OSs)? If so right-click on it and select "Open Volume Mixer" - On mine I have 4 different items that I can control including windows Media Player and it is possible for me to mute or lower the volume on any one while leaving the others alone and if I do that nothing anywhere else shows as muted and even hitting my master mute and then hitting it off does not reset the individual settings.

Reaction score
There is a such thing as Jack Detection that will disable the rest of the audio system when the headset is plugged in. Disabling Jack Detection should enable the whole audio system regardless of whether you have a headset plugged in. I'm not sure if you will have this feature or not though. I do know I have had issues with this feature myself and needed to disable Jack Detection for my Rear Speakers to work. Your laptop may have a similar features and could be worth looking into.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Disabling Jack Detection should enable the whole audio system regardless of whether you have a headset plugged in.
You know I had the ability to do that in XP but when I installed W7 I no longer had that switch so now every time I plug in headphones the rear port is disabled. I think it must depend on the audio driver. I actually liked having the option but I just don't leave the headphones plugged in any more..

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks for that handy tip C_C! I have never even noticed the folder in the upper right-hand corner before till you pointed it out.

I know clicking on the little "i" icon in the lower right-hand corner will turn off the icon in the system tray through the window that pops up.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This is starting to feel like hijacking, maybe you could move these four posts to a new thread?

I tried updating with drivers from Realtek but I must have done something wrong because when I just looked I see I have Microsoft default drivers.

Reaction score
This is starting to feel like hijacking, maybe you could move these four posts to a new thread?

I tried updating with drivers from Realtek but I must have done something wrong because when I just looked I see I have Microsoft default drivers.
That is still a possible solution for the original question.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if you think it might help him too, that's cool, I didn't want anyone to feel I was taking over for my issue.

Ask a Question