SOLVED Is there any way to seperate "Device" from "Applications", in the volume mixer?

Reaction score
I am trying to record from Flash Player (youtube videos) or Media Player (mp3 files), back into a recording application, along with "Line In" audio. But the speaker volume cannot be adjusted independent of the recording volume of the playback applications.

The problem is: that the levels of the playback applications cannot be adjusted higher, than that of the main speaker volume. I can max the out the main slider, and then lower the playback application at will, but when the main slider is lowered, so is the playback application.

In XP I could move "all" sliders independently of the main slider, while still achieving proper mix levels for recording. I could even lower the main volume to zero and the volume level of the playback application would remain constant into the recording application.

I had to enable "Stereo Mix" as a device in Win7 to even get the audio from the playback apps to record. (I suspect this is the problem, as I have a separate slider for "Wave" in XP's recording controls).

I'm using a System Integrated Amplifier and prefer not to mess with the input setting to "just deal with it", nor do I wish to add another "Line In" device, to play files that are already on my PC or from the internet.

The reason this is a problem, is that I am also recording a "Line In" to the recording application at the same time - and those levels are independently manageable to begin with.

None of this was an issue on XP.... adjusted line in level + level of the application (wave), set main volume to a reasonable monitoring level, hit record... no fuss.

Example Setups:

Recording commentary along with video playback - source video is too loud through headset, at proper level for good signal to noise ratio into the recording app.

Playing an instrument along with prerecorded backing tracks - same thing, headset/speaker volume is too loud, and lowering the main slider, also reduces the level sent to the recording app.

Last edited:
Reaction score
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Windows_7_OS#loopback

• No "silent" recording of computer playback using stereo mix: Unlike Windows XP and earlier, Vista and later have no "Speaker" or "Master" system volume slider independent of the "Wave" or "Device" output slider. Therefore on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 you cannot record computer playback using stereo mix while turning down the output volume (for example, if you want to work). If you need to do this you can do the following.
    • Unplug or turn down your external speakers.
    • Plug a pair of headphones or a headset into the audio out and turn the volume down, or plug in a 1/8 inch (3.5 mm) minijack plug with no lead attached.
    • Use Windows WASAPI loopback recording which records at a fixed level even if you turn the audio device output level down to zero.

Ask a Question