Is there a free website creation service that

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of!

You can purchase a domain name and have it directed to the address of the free web-space.

But then this would in-validate the reasoning in getting a free sub-domain.

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of!

You can purchase a domain name and have it directed to the address of the free web-space.

But then this would in-validate the reasoning in getting a free sub-domain.

Correction. There is. http://www.freedomain.co.nr/ . You get a free domain ending with .co.nr (NR representing Nauru Islands). I want to know if there is a free hoster of websites. I looked on YouTube, and it seems pretty easy to host a website @ home, but I was just wondering.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not my field, but I think freedomain does provide a domain name, but to use it effectively, you still need to link it to a provider. (Which in my case, I have to pay for)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, www.dot.tk is the one I know of (already mentioned by Ace) - seems pretty neat that you can get a free domain name :)

Reaction score
Yeah I might get it. Now my choices are either .co.nr or .tk. BTW, anybody else think it's funny how all these free domains or cheap domains come from these islands??? Tokelau, Nauru, Fiji, etc. It seems like it's really cheap there to buy a domain.

Reaction score
Oh and also, is it example.tk or example.co.tk or example.com.tk?

Reaction score
Alright, I've made my decision. So, Webs says that I can transfer my free .tk or .co.nr website to Webs and build it from Webs for free, meaning that I just got a free website!!!!! Free building, free domain, free everything! lol. I might get the little higher end package though for more bandwidth. I plan on using this for a Flight Simulator X community. Thanks for all of your help.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No problem :) I used to use the tk service for all of my test websites, before actually going out and buying a domain to see whether it's worth it or not. Using a free domain is a great method for testing out any sites that you can forget about and junk away later on.

You can't run MySQL from your localhost, which is why I sometimes need to use a free domain and host out there. Otherwise, I'll usually build the entire site right from my computer directories before I buy a domain and dedicated server for it.

Reaction score
Well my "host" is going to be Webs, for free. But, guess what? I just discovered this new free domains site, .cz.cc (CC is for Cocos Islands) and it has no limitations like .co.nr which requires you to put in a little logo in the homepage of your site and .tk of the forwarding thing. So I'll just use .cz.cc for now.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not sure if you know it or not, and i'm not quite sure if it applies to the full range of cc domains, but co.cc doesn't get indexed in Google anymore. You'll never have an active website if you can't get good SEO on Google. Just the way it is, since Google is the number one search engine you definitely want to be recognized on.

Reaction score
Yes Ace. And for that reason, I chose .tk. I was earlier today doing some research on the .co.cc domains, since I've heard that many virus sites abuse the service and that it was blocked on Google. So I'm using .tk.

Reaction score
Oh and hosting it with Weebly. I'm done with Webs. You have to pay to link your custom domain???? :eek:

Reaction score
You can't run MySQL from your localhost, which is why I sometimes need to use a free domain and host out there. Otherwise, I'll usually build the entire site right from my computer directories before I buy a domain and dedicated server for it.
Why would you say you can't run MySQL from a localhost?
That is the only way I am running a SQL database at the moment.
Did I misunderstand the context to your statement?

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Without downloading MySQL you can't. Most people won't have it readily available to them on their system, and it's database does take up space, which is why I don't do it that way. I'd never consider running MySQL from my localhost for that reason. No space for it

Not too many people host their own web server or anything of that nature for their own website in general from what I know. It takes more effort to upkeep and maintain.

Ask a Question