Iomega Zip or Jazz drive in Windows 7

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using an Iomega Zip or Jazz disk with W7?

I work in graphics and ocassionally have to pull info from one of these formats.

Looking at the Iomega site lists support for XP. . . no mention of any x64 platforms or even Vista.

I'm just trying to figure out how far to go in efforts of backwards compatability . . . at least I'm not looking to integrate a Bernoulli Drive.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

RowZ

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not used one of those drives for many years and I've not yet heard anyone else using one with Windows 7, so I'd be very interested to know if it works :) I think the only way you'll find out is to try - but I wouldn't be surprised if it does work right out of the box.

Reaction score
Re: Iomega Zip or Jazz in Windows 7?

Thanks, Ian

I'll go ahead and give it a shot, but I'm more than a little skeptical as to the results.

I'll post procedure and outcome.

RowZ

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks RowZ, I look forward to seeing what happens :)

Reaction score
Hi there,

It all depends on the interface ! As long as you're using SCSI or USB ZIP or JAZZ drives, they should work fine under Windows 7. Same for Firewire.

But if you're using a ZIP connected to a parallel port... then it probably won't work.

Cheers,

J.

Reaction score
I tried the parallel connection on a desk top and the pcmcia card on a laptop and could not get my 1Gb to be recognized on my W7 machines, guess I will have to buy a SCSI card for the desktop.

Reaction score
I have an internal IDE Zip-100 drive that works fine in Windows 7 x86 using native drivers.

Reaction score
I just started using W7. I used the native Iomega zip drive for my Zip 250 USB external and it works just fine. No issues.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Wow, now that's a blast from the past. Do you mind if I ask what you use it for? I remember mine being really slow to write to.

I may try to find mine and see if it still works. It's been many years since I've seen it. :)

Reaction score
I used ioware-w32-x86-402. It works fine. I have no issues. I have been using it everyday for the past two weeks.

Reaction score
Just conversationally I used to have an internal Zip drive on my Win98 machine. Stopped using it mainly as it was not cross platform enough. Too few people I knew (read none) were using it and I was concerned if mine failed how I could recover the data from the disks.

Reaction score
Jazz Drive works

With the factory format intact the drive will work. Windows 7 supports the USB to SCSI cable and you may be able to find one on EBay.
Formatting the cartage will be an issue as it has when Microsoft updated Windows NT and Windows 3.11. However I am currently playing this unit and find it rather nostalgic.
As for the MAC OS I don't have a clue.

Reaction score
Zip drive

Did you have to install any drivers at all Arfnox? I picked up a scsi-usb cable and connected the Zip drive but it's not showing at all. My zip drive is pretty old (drive connection is DB50!).

Would love to get this working if possible.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Iomega ZIP and JAZZ drives are all antiquated hardware and really serve no relevance with today's modern operating systems.

Reaction score
Drivers for windows 7

Blameless

Windows installed the IOMega USB to SCSI automatically, no additional input should be needed on your part. However you should not put anything important on the media as modern OS's rely on smart devices and the jazz is not. In DOS 3 all the drive was handled in the driver software this does not progress into the newer Windows OS's. I wish you the best when and if I find a way to recover the media and format it I'll let you know. It will be a very secure data storage device. On the other hand if you find an Orb drive you should have a great time with the unit which supports NTFS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
hi i still have internal atapi zip100 drive, a printer port external and a usb external (all zip 100)

i was able to get the usb drive working with windows 7 no problems. only thing that is missing seems to be the other tools that usually come with a zip drive (which were there on win98/xp) such as zip catalogue and the protect/unprotect tools.
(i never really understood how zip drive protecton worked, maybe some laser lights using the corner/mirrors on a zip drive?) or how secure it was, but if theres no way to unprotect a protected disk and if your disks were protected youd probably not be able to use the protect/unprotect features on win7 and would probably have to unprotect them on an older machine.

the iomega site doesnt seem to have any iomega ware/tools that work (do you have the orginal TOOLS zip disk? that came with the tools but dont know if that will run on a 64 bit windows 7 (shame as none of the older but cool games seem to run properly lol

Reaction score
Using Iomega ZIP 250 with WIN 7 64bit

I just bought a new PC and am going through the usual start up agonies! I tried loading the IOMEGA ZIP 250 CD ROM with the original drivers and ran into all kinds of problems. (it is a USB connected ZIP drive) I had to do system restore to the prior state to get my machione back!

Then as a test I tried plugging in the ZIP 250 drive in to my netbook running WIN 7 starter(32bit) and the ZIP drive connected and I could read/write the files. So I then went back to my WIN 7 64 bit PC and just plugged the ZIP 250 in (USB port) and it worked just fine.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In other words the drivers needed are built-in to W7 but the old drivers on the CD will not work/install properly.

It may be possible, however, the load "additional software" from the CD (assuming there is any) to provide additional functionality: user interface, etc ... just don't install those drivers.

Ask a Question