Intel i7 Processor

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Intel i7 Processor @2.2 ghz
It says it can turbo boost to 3.1 ghz.
What does this mean/What does it do?
Is there a way to keep the system running at 3.1ghz all the time?

Reaction score
Explaining Intel's Turbo Boost technology
Intel promotes the Turbo Boost technology in its new Core i7 Mobile processors as a way to adapt to the needs of the software and get more performance from the chip, but this isn't the real reason the technology exists.
The key to this dramatic claim is a feature called Turbo Boost technology. Basically, if the current application workload isn't keeping all four cores fully busy and pushing right up against the chip's TDP (Thermal Design Power) limit, Turbo Boost can increase the clock speed of each core individually to get more performance out of the chip.
The quad-core mode of Turbo Boost is a little more subtle; it works when the four cores aren't running a worst-case workload--for example, integer-heavy processing, since it's generally floating-point calculations that consume the most power--so they aren't bumping into the TDP limit. Turbo Boost can increase the frequency of all four cores until they're running as fast as they can for the current workload.
You wouldn't want to completely bypass Turbo Boost and run full speed. This would keep the chip from idling back down when heat rises to high.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Don't overclock a laptop.

Ask a Question