SOLVED Installing program files on E: drive

Reaction score
I am setting up a new desktop and installing Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I have very little experience with Windows 7 and am wondering if it possible to set it up to install all additional software (office suites, antivirus, photo editing, etc) to E: drive by default to keep from loading up my C: drive.

Reaction score
Has your thread been solved?
Hello David L, if this is a support thread and it has been fixed we would like to ask that you mark it as "solved" so that other users can see this. You can do this by clicking the button on the "Thread Tools" menu or by clicking here. If you need to mark the thread as "unsolved" at a later date, you can do so by selecting this option on the tools menu. You can also add to a users reputation by clicking the "Thanks" button on a helpful post.

Sorry, but I am uncertain as to whether I am going about this according to your forum methods. I am seeking an answer to the problem I posted.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
David that is simply a note at the top of the thread because you opened it. It is a reminder to please mark it solved if you do get an answer that satisfies your question.

From what I've read, there is no easy and reliable way and it is highly discouraged. However most install programs offer a custom option and those usually include a way to specify a path, so in those cases you should be able install the program to a different drive.

Or you might try THIS program and cross your fingers.

Reaction score
I have found a way to manually change the Windows 7 User folders but SSD Boost Manager sounds like a simpler and less risky way to keep my SSD from filling up. Thanks again for the link. David

Reaction score
I was a bit premature about SSD Boost Master. After reading about it in more detail it appears to be a tool that shuttles programs on and off your c drive as you run them. That is not what I was hoping for. I have instead changed the Programfiles and the ProgramFiles (x86) refrences in the registry and will see if this works. Would also like to relocate the default users files (documents, pictures, etc.) to the larger drive if anyone has a suggestion as to how to change that in the registry as well.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Moving Libraries is actually quite easy. I would encourage you to first create a folder with your userid as the name on the new harddrive. Then right-click on My Documents, choose properties, pick the Location Tab and simply hit the Move button and choose that destination. Do the same for My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, and Download.

Ask a Question