SOLVED Installing a new hard drive.

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5068, a while back it was cycling a lot during the POST stage when booting and eventually after maybe half an hour it would boot. After about a week it just kept cycling never going past the POST stage. I tried all sorts of things including a cold boot, and clearing the CMOS. When all this didn't work, we opened the laptop and reseated the hard drive, the expansion cards etc... Still no luck. So eventually I got my Recovery CDs out and started doing a recovery. When the third disk (3 out of 4) was at 85%, it seemed to get stuck. It stayed on 85% for more than two hours. So then I cancelled the recovery, and received the following error message 10-FC06-045D. I attempted to re-start the laptop. I can't remember the sequences of the following events as I tried so many different things after that. I tried re-starting it in Safe Mode as at one stage I got as far as that page. I tried pressing 0 while switching on the laptop, but that did not take me anywhere. I tried the recovery CDs once more. I got the following two errors messages as well. F3-F200-0002 and 08-128D-0000.
From all the search and the different forums, it seems that my problem is a bad sector on my hard drive.
I have been able to get a new hard drive, the formatted capacity is bigger (from 320GB to 500GB). This is completely new territory for me and I am a little worried about what to do next. Once I've physically installed the new hard drive, do I use my recovery CDs? Or should I use the Windows 7 SP1 ISO download? My laptop did come with Windows 7 Home Prem OA, and I still have the product key for that. Can I use that same product key to re-install Windows 7 Home Premium? If I can use either my recovery CDs or the Windows 7 SP1 bootable DVD, which one is better? Or at least what would the difference be?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The W7 SP1 does NOT include all the extras Toshiba would have slipped into the W7 OS, including any special drivers and their software, etc., so if you want a factory version, put in your replacement hard drive and then load up from your recovery CDs. Since it's a laptop, the license is probably pre-activated (like it's already in the BIOS or something) but if it isn't you can activate with the code you have. And reactivation shouldn't even require a call to Microsoft but if it does you simply explain that your hard drive died and you had to do a complete reinstall from your recovery CDs.

Reaction score
TrainableMan, Thank you very much. I really appreciate your quick and precise reply.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I see that this is marked solved. Have you actually done the install already?

I have heard that at least one manufacturer has set their install to be very particular about the hard drive specs (I would guess that is so the user has to buy the replacement from them). So if any issues do pop up, just post back and we'll see if we can help further.

Reaction score
I haven't done the install yet, I am only hopefully getting the new hard drive on Thursday, but as you had answered all of my questions so nicely, I thought that I would mark the thread as closed. I will keep you updated as to the progress. Thank you.
P.S: Should I mark it as unsolved until I finish the install?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
P.S: Should I mark it as unsolved until I finish the install?
Yes, mark it as unsolved until you're finally satisfied with the end results.

Reaction score
I have done the install using my recovery DVDs, and everything seemed to go well. But there are a few glitches. The first one I noticed was that my wireless adapter was not working, it did not even show up under Network Connections. So I opened up Device Manager, and I have 3 yellow exclamation marks, 2 under the "Display adapters" section, there are 2 "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family", and they both have yellow exclamation marks. The third exclamation mark is in the Network adapters section for my Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter. When I right-hand click on any of the three exclamation marks under Properties, in the General tag I get the following message in the Device status box: "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)".
When I made the recovery DVDs for my Toshiba (3 of them), I also made a Toshiba Applications and Drivers DVD and a Windows Recovery Environment (64 Bit) DVD.
How should I proceed? Should I uninstall those devices?
Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Pop in the driver DVD. Double click on one of the missing items in Device Manager. Select the Driver Tab. Click Update Driver. Choose Browse my computer for driver software. And have it search the DVD.

Repeat for the other missing drivers.

Let us know if that fixes things.

While it's in there, you might also look to see if you want any of those applications installed from the DVD onto your new machine.

Reaction score
No unfortunately, it did not work. I get the same messages for all three: Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Download the latest drivers from bassfisher's link. Then uninstall the driver first and then point the system to the download to load the driver. Repeat for each missing driver.

And don't stop at the network drivers, if you have other issues like a serial bus driver or something missing then it's possible it simply can't reach the network card at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry if I did not get back sooner, these past two weeks have been crazy for me.
I did as you advised TrainableMan and bassfisher6522, and it worked. Thank you both. Something strange is that it did not work straight away, I had to try a few times before it worked. Unfortunately I cannot remember the exact sequence that eventually worked. So now my wireless Internet is working and my monitor display is also correct but now I am getting quite a few other glitches.
1) I am unable to do Windows Updates. I keep getting the following message: "Windows cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer."
While trying all sorts of solutions from different forums, I also noticed that
2) none of my troubleshooting are working. I cannot troubleshoot anything even if whatever I'm trying to troubleshoot is working correctly. My Norton 360 seems to be working alright and is updating and scanning with no problem.
3) My Windows Defender is not working and I can't get it to start I keep getting the following error code: 0x800106ba. I have tried running different Microsoft Fix it and I always get the same: "The troubleshooter is temporarily unavailable. We're sorry, but we encountered an issue downloading one or more components and cannot run the troubleshooter right now. Please try again later or visit http://www.microsoft.com/fixit to obtain the most current version. [Code 80072EE7]"
4) Google Chrome keeps crashing. If I opened a page from my Bookmarks, or from a link already on the page it works but as soon as I start typing anything in the URL it crashes. I have uninstalled and re-installed to no avail.
5) I cannot connect to my Homegroup and of course cannot troubleshoot it.
6) I also had problems installing my printer, it would not do it automatically as before. I was able to resolve that problem by getting hold of Lexmark and getting the driver for it.
7) One of the solutions I tried to get Windows Updates to work was to try resetting Windows Update components. After accessing the cdm I tried the first command "net stop bits" and that is as far as I went because after pressing ENTER I received: "System error 5 has occured. Access is denied." Another solutiion I tried was from the following forum http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/cannot-run-windows-update-on-a-windows-7-pc/, I followed every step and nothing changed.

Anyway it seems that as soon as I solve a problem I am finding another one. I think that I should make a clean install of Windows 7 instead as the way I see it there must be some defect with my Recovery DVDs. Your opinion would be appreciated and also some advice of how to erase or format my drive and then do the clean install of Windows 7.
From what I understand from this forum https://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html, I can just download Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits and my activation code should work. Is that correct?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A reinstall sounds like a good plan. Though I personally might give the recovery DVDs a second try. But Yes, your Home Prem activation code should work with the W7 SP1 downloads.

Reaction score
As you suggested I tried my recovery DVDs a second time without any luck as I encountered all the same problems again. So I downloaded Windows 7 SP1 from https://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html and then downloaded ImgBurn and burnt my Windows 7 DVD. Very early in the installation I received an error that the driver for my CD/DVD drive was missing. I looked for the driver online and tried unsuccessfully installing it via USB. After a few hours of reading different forums I came across someone who had had the same trouble with a missing driver for his DVD drive while doing a clean WIndows 7 Installation. His solution also worked for me. The problem was a bad ISO download. So I went back and re-downloaded W7 SP1 but this time I used a download manager(www.internetdownloadmanager.com) as I am on wifi and not very high speed Internet. This time it worked. Everything seems to be working. I have been able to install all the Windows Updates. My troubleshooters work and I have started re-installing my programs.
TrainableMan and bassfisher6522, I would like to thank you both for all your help and good advice. It is very nice having my laptop back again and I know that my husband is happy that I am no longer using his.

Ask a Question