IE has stopped working

Reaction score
My Internet Explorer has stopped working. What I mean by that, when I choose IE, it does not load. It does not give me any errors. I have attempted a few things, like default changes. I have updated the software... But to no avail. Can someone assist with that. I have downloaded and I am using Chrome with no problems, but IE8 will not work.

I am using Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate

Reaction score
Hi rfannon - Welcome to w7forums

Have you by some chance set IE to work offline?

Open IE
Press ALT key if the Menu Bar is not visible.
Click file.
Look to the bottom just above exit.
If there is a check by Work Offline then the pages will not load.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Clifford,
But that's just my problem. I cannot get IE to open at all. When I double click the icon, it never opens at all. It doesn't appear to even activate. I have tried several icons as well as the .exe file. I have removed and downloaded a new file, installed. It still does not work.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It sounds like a reinstall is in the works, if the startup repair doesn't work. I've only used that repair once, with negative results. Windows 7 didn't want to fire up and the repair didn't fix it. So I reinstalled from scratch, and have had no problems since. I believe my case had to do with that VMLite program, because I was having other problems, too. I'll never install VMLite on anything I own again. On the other hand, VM player is a decent product. But rfannon, I hope you get straightened out soon, I feel that you will.

Reaction score
IE8 Still Not working

Ok, I have tried to just install IE8. I have done a system repair and I have done a re-install of Windows 7. But IE8 does not start, load or run still. I can double click on the icon and the pointer appears to work for a few seconds and it just stops and the program never loads.

I think I am getting to the end of trying. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Open Programs and Features
Look to the left for "Turn Windows features on or off"

Check and see if "Internet Explorer 8" has a check mark placed in the box.

You could try removing the check mark and rebooting. After rebooting place the check mark back in the box. This process should re-install IE. If not, I am out of ideas.

Ask a Question