Icon in System Tray says Not Connected when user obviously is

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Trying to help a user and there is an icon in the system tray that says "not connected". In networking they have a wired network connection listed and two wireless networks. One wireless connection is connected but I think the icon in the system tray must be displaying the second wireless network which is not.

If I right-click, the Delete option is grayed out and I cannot delete this second wireless network plus the user thinks it might be one he uses when his laptop is elsewhere.

So my question is, does anyone know how to control which network is used as the "control" for the system tray icon. Basically how can I make it display the network he is actually using.

Reaction score
I am connected to a wired lan and to one of two wifi connections available to me. When my mouse hovers over the network icon in the system tray a popup shows me the status of both and internet connectivity. If you click on it a window will popup showing all the available wifi networks. You can select the one you wish to connect to. If the connection requires a password it will ask for it. BTW you can connect to ONLY one network at any given time.

This was amajor issue a while back and there were all kinds of solutions offered by various people. They all amounted to restarting explorer using complex leystrokes. I simply wrote a batch file utilising pskill. I simply kill all instances of explorer, set a delay of 5 seconds and then restart the explore. I get all icons displaying correct state !.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just to be clear, in case it makes a difference, it is a wi-fi signal strength meter icon and the bars are all red and says there is no connectivity.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
TM - Have you gone to the "Network and Sharing Center" and choose the "Connect or Disconnect" option?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In the list is a wired connection (not connected), a wireless network (connected and working) and a second wireless network (not connected). In the system tray is an icon and it must be showing the status of the second wireless network because it shows 0 bars and "not connected".

I cannot Delete the second wireless network (that is grayed out) but I did try disabling it but it made no difference to the system tray icon.

Basically I would like to have the system tray icon show whichever wireless network is connected or at least have one icon for each wireless network. Right now there is just the one icon and it happens to be the wireless network that is not being used.

So no, I never connected or disconnected either wireless option. I was connected remotely and definitely would not want to disconnect the one that IS connected.

Ask a Question