i have a 64 bit processor , n 32-bit OS so please help me

Reaction score
i have a 64 bit processor but i have installed 32bit OS of windows 7 , so kindly tell me that what significant difference it could make ? because i have heard rumors that if you install 32-bit OS on a 64-bit processor then it slows down the performance , so kindly tell me that is it true ?
and secondly i want to ask that i am a student of electrical engineering and many of my friends say that most of the engineering softwares like matlab, proteus, keil u vision , xilinx etc are 32-bit softwares so thats why these softwares won't work on 64-bit OS , so is that true ? and thirdly i want to ask that can i run those softwares on a 64-bit OS fluently which have been coded in 32-bit ? i badly need help , so please help me!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I noticed you only have 2GB of memory, so I wouldn't worry about it. I would only worry about it if you are planning on upgrading to 4GB or more memory.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Cliff is correct. Since you only have 2GB of RAM, it's best you stay with the 32-bit version of Windows 7. Only after you upgrade to 4GB or more of RAM should you then consider moving to the 64-bit version. You will notice an increase in performance and speed once you have at least 4GB of RAM. Using a 64-bit Windows 7 is similar to comparing driving down a 4 lane highway versus a 2 lane road. Faster and easier to get there, figuratively speaking.

Regarding your question about 32-bit software on a 64-bit OS, nearly all of them work fine. Less than 5% won't work though. Windows 7 64-bit has a special folder called: Program Files (x86), which is just for 32-bit software.

Reaction score
I think what the OP was asking was; if his cpu is a 64 bit and his os was 32 bit would there be some sort of conflict.

Your cpu is ready to handle 64 bit operations but it will work fine processing in 32 bit...like most modern hardware, it's backwards compatible. Nothing to worry about.

As far as the speed goes...yes there is a signicant speed increase when using a 64 bit cpu and 64 bit OS with 4 gigs or more of ram installed versus the 32 bit setup.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You're correct BF. Since his system was already working for him that that was given on the 32-bit OS working on 64-bit hardware.

Oh well, ce la vie!

Ask a Question