I can't install Intel Rapid Storage Technology or change SATA Operation in BIOS after reinstalling W

Reaction score
Hello,

Please help me fix these strange issues happened lately.

I am dying to solve all this.

I don't want to bring my system to a PC store because it's just still new and they screw things up here in Egypt. So if anyone can help me I would be so grateful.

First things first, the SATA Operation in BIOS was set to Intel(R) Smart Response Technology, this was when I bought the laptop until I did upgrade to WIndows 8.1 and things didn't go fine so I decided to install a new Windows but when I tried to install Windows the drives where I will choose to install Windows on weren't showing up.

Someone told me that I must change the SATA Operation to "ATA"

I did this and the drives showed up and then installed Windows 8 successfully.

Now I CANT INSTALL Intel Rapid Storage Technology nor Intel Rapid Start Technology.

Every time I install them, this message appears.

or "This PC doesn't meet the minimum requirement to install this software".

I tried to set the SATA Operation back to "Intel(R) Smart Response Technology" in BIOS but I always get a BSOD when Windows boots.

When I also set it to "AHCI" I also get a BSOD when WIndows tries to boot at Dell logo screen.

It only boots fine when I set it to "ATA".

Please anyone tell me how can this be FIXED.

Please help I am terribly disappointed now. Instead of just being happy with a new Windows. This just let me down a lot more.

My system info is Inspiron 15z 5523

Service Tag 8GC4KW1

Shintaro

Reaction score
So, changing between AHCI and ATA is only if your disk is having faults. Which looking at your previous errors it was not!.

"The platform is not supported" can either mean that you are trying to run a 32 bit version on a 64 bit version of Windows or it does not support Windows 8.

Have a look at THIS link.

Reaction score
No, I installed new Windows fine,
I am installing versions of 64-bit for Windows 8.

The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is installed, and Intel Rapid Start Technology was installed, suddenly when I uninstalled it and tried to install it again it tells me "This Computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to install the software", although the SATA Operation in BIOS is set to "Intel Smart Response Technology". and when I switch to either "ATA" or "AHCI" now I get BSODs upon boot.

Also I have "Intel Rapid Start Technology set to Enabled" in BIOS
So what is the problem preventing it from installing?

Please any help?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I found out the problem if it is REALLY the problem??

The SSD is shown in the BIOS "SAMSUNG SSD PM830 mSATA 32GB"

And not shown in Device Manager.

Shintaro

Reaction score
So did you get the driver for the SSD from the Dell site? Or the Samsung site? Is it now working?

Reaction score
No, I can't find any drivers in Samsung Site.
Please can you help me in this issue??!! I get a very delayed reply from the Dell site.

Now, I have SATA Operation in BIOS set to "Intel Smart Response Technology"
When I installed Windows, I Installed "Intel Rapid Start Technology" driver without problems, and then after a few shut down and starting Windows suddenly I got this message

This message appeared although the Intel Rapid Start Technology driver is installed.
After that I manually uninstalled it then it asked me that I should restart Windows to take effect, after I restarted I tried to install it again I got this message.

Reaction score
Now I am going to install Windows 8.1 Enterprise and see if I can install this driver.

Reaction score
Yaay I think I found the problem.

After reading the guide.

If a Rapid Start will be enabled after enabling Smart Response, do not select “Full disk capacity” at the “Select the size allocated for the cache memory” prompt. Instead, select the 18.6 GB option, which will make a single-disk RAID 0 volume, labeled “Volume_0000” from the remaining disk space for creating the Rapid Start partition later.

I accidentally set it to “Full disk capacity” maybe this was the cause Intel Rapid Start Technology stopped working and doesn't want to install again?

Reaction score
I have already installed Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

Well I was going to try this but I am kindda lazy to re-install over and over.

And also I have splitted my drive right after I bought the laptop, I made C: with 146 GB and D: with 300 GB (Where I save all my programs and games) merging the drive again will delete all this!!!

Well, lets just go on with this process and hope you help me.

With 8.1 Enterprise installed. The "Intel Rapid Start Technology" driver still fails to install.

Well, before installing "Intel Rapid Storage Technology", this is how "Disk Management" screen looks.

Where it tells you there is 29.79 GB Unallocated, I presume this is the SSD drive.

Now, I am installing "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" driver.

And after installing I open up the application and select "Enable Acceleration"

After that I select the size allocated for the cache memory to be 18.6 GB

After that I click OK and then in the menu it shows two volumes

Volume_0000 and Volume_0001

Now, the Disk Management screen looks like this, where it shows that there is 11.19 GB Unallocated

Beyond this step, after reading the PDF guide I see that this 11.19 GB Unallocated space should be for Hibernation Partition, but I failed to do this, I get error at the last command in the CMD.

Reaction score
Now I followed the guide

The free space on the SSD needs to be used to create an 8GB hibernate partition. This can be done using the diskpart.exe utility in Windows®. From the Start menu, type “diskpart” in the “Search programs and files” field, and press the Enter key

In the DISKPART command window, type “list disk”, and press the Enter key. This will list all available disks. Look for a disk that has at least 8 GB in the “Free” column (Note: the free space approximately equal the size of the SSD or mSATA if you subtract 18.6 GB for the Smart Response cache). See picture:

2. Type “select disk #”, and press the Enter key. The “#” should correspond to the number listed next to the disk with free space. In this example, the disk is labeled “disk 1”.

3. Type “detail disk”, and press the Enter key. The first line of the output from this command should say “Volume_0000”, which corresponds with the default name of the spare disk space created when Smart Response was previously enabled, as shown in this picture, highlighted yellow for illustration purposes

For me it didn't show “Volume_0000”, it shows SSD PM830 mSATA

4. Type “create partition primary size=8192”, and press the Enter key. This will create an 8GB partition in the free space on the disk selected. In the Disk Management window, an 8 GB partition will show up with a blue bar above it, the text will say “Raw / Healthy (Primary Partition)”.

5. Type “set id=84 override”, and press the Enter key. The 8 GB partition description in the Disk Management window should change to “Healthy (Hibernation Partition)”, and the command window should report: “DiskPart Successfully set the partition ID”. The final result should look something like this picture (the size of the unallocated space may vary depending on the SSD or mSATA size):

Now, when I type “set id=84 override, I get this result.

Reaction score
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!
Say CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I managed to solve the problem on my own. :)
I right-clicked on the Unallocated 11.29 GB and selected Convert to MPR disk. and now the command
set id=84 override succeded in creating a Hibernation partition and now I can FINALLY install "Intel Rapid Start Technology",
The Disk was on GPT that's why it is refusing the override command line.

Reaction score
Well, with this problem solved,
I am now starting a new life with Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Now do I need an Antivirus program to protect Windows or is "Windows Defender" enough.
McAfee that came with the laptop caused BSODs.

Now would you please help me look into this issue? If I do need an Antivirus program, can you please look further which antivirus program that doesn't cause BSODs with my system Inspiron 15z 5523?
And if Windows Defender is enough, then I will not install any Antivirus.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

Well Done on finding that fix yourself.

What AV you use is totally up to you and the way that you secure your computer.
My personal preference is to just use Defender/ Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. But I never log in as Adminstrator and if I think a site might be a risk I use a virtual machine to visit the site.

Having more than one AV on a computer will cause problems, however, most AV's will disable the inbuilt Microsoft AV.

Reaction score
Thank you Shintaro,
Well, right now I have the normal Windows Defender running and I installed Malwarebytes Premium do you think that's enough?
Also, is Malwarebytes considered an "AV"? and if I installed Avira as well, will it cause conflict with Malwarebytes
But I am waiting for your reply, If both Windows Defender and Malwarebytes are enough, then I will not go any further installing any other AV like Avira, Norton, McAfee, etc...

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

I run Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.
If you intend on using Avira I would suggest that you uninstall Malwarebytes and disable Windows Defender. Multiple AV product do not play well with each other!

The other thing I do is NOT run with Administrator privileges. My NORMAL login account is a "Standard User" account.
If I want to install something I simply right click on the installer and select "Run as Administrator".

Problems arise, for most people, because they don't understand that if you are logged in with Administrator privileges it is easier for viruses and crapware to get on to their computer. By using a Standard User account it will stop 90% of problems.
I still run virus scans / malware scans and offline scans at regular intervals anyway. No matter what anyone say's NO AV solution is 100%.

Ask a Question